back to article And the new ISP for US Starbucks stores is ... Google?

Coffee mega-chain Starbucks has announced that Google will replace AT&T as the internet service provider for its company-owned stores in the US. The move marks a significant step forward for the Chocolate Factory as an ISP. Previously, Google only provided internet access for a limited number of Google Fiber cities, plus a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. An0n C0w4rd

Privacy policy

Be interesting to see the privacy policy of this new service, i.e. if Google will be sniffing all the URLs (and other data) going over the network to better target you with advertising (or whatever).

Sounds like if I ever go into a Starbucks again the first thing I'll fire up is a VPN

1. Don Jefe

Re: Privacy policy

You might use a VPN, but the other 39 people in there won't be. I think that's what they're counting on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Privacy policy

They don't need to "sniff" your URL.

Every ISP has records of the URLs you visit. That's why TOR was started which specifically doesn't write logs and only holds accesses briefly in memory.

To be honest I don't trust my ISP at all with my data, but it's a necessary evil.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you apparently don't know how Google makes money

I thought the register had a better grasp on how Google makes money, because " what Google might stand to gain by wiring up coffee shops" is an amazing statement. Google is like the American version of Huawei (give or take the government alignment depending on what you believe)

1. Don Jefe

Re: you apparently don't know how Google makes money

Google is a global telecom equipment provider? Huh...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris Miller

Re: Google = c-@-n-c-e-r

You're obviously entitled to your opinion and, as you point out, other search engines, browsers etc are available. Speaking for myself, I'm happy to use Google search, Docs and Chrome for the benefits of simple synchronisation between my various PCs, phones and tablets. If I'm doing anything I consider particularly sensitive, I use something else, such as DDG, encrypted mail and/or documents. I'm personally happy to sacrifice a little privacy for compensating benefits. If the postal service offered free delivery of Christmas/birthday cards in exchange for recording the metadata (or even the contents), that's a sacrifice I'd be happy to make.

There's a valid point that I'm probably a bit more clued up than the average user of Google services, who is probably completely oblivious that all this is going on and is just happy to grab 'free stuff'. I'm not sure there's a complete answer to that, though better education and information would help.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I presume you don't use debit or credit cards ever either?

You do know that all your purchases are tracked? Including location, purchase date and time, amount, category of goods etc?

The best thing is this data is also available to third parties for a fee and the customers can also be targeted for marketing activities by third parties, once again of course, for a fee.

3. Tom 13

Do you also have your gold, silver, non-hybrid seeds and a lifetime supply of Spam (in the can) and Twinkies?

4. Florida1920

I'd rather have coffee that's 10 times less expensive. Starbucks is too pricey for this caffeine-aholic.

1. FredBloggsY
      Holmes

Don't they mainly sell sugar, some with coffee flavouring?

2. returnmyjedi

...and it tastes bloody 'orrible. Fans of Starbucks must have a Taste Distortion Field as well as a Reality one.

5. BornToWin

This is no surprise

AT&T sucks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like