back to article Amazon adds 5,000 warehouse workers in the US

Amazon yesterday announced a raft of new jobs in the US ahead of today's visit today from President Barack Obama to one of its distribution warehouses. The mega-etailer has come up with 5,000 full-time positions at 17 of its so-called "fulfillment centers", a 25 per cent increase on warehouse staff, which it says currently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rampant Spaniel

How about a few jobs for android app developers? Maybe get them to work on a prime video app?

2. TheOtherHobbes

"If we can put in place policies that will encourage companies to invest in America to bring back jobs from overseas"

So he'll be taxing off-shore cash piles unless they're repatriated and turned into jobs?

Thought not.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Slashing red tape would help. It isn't particular to either party either, both have allowed a monster to grow. You either pay a fortune for people to manage it, do it yourself and lose time or try and avoid it by acting as a sole trader (and pay higher taxes).

We really need to reconsider how the entire system is supposed to function. Taxes should pay for services, not be mostly used to fund the collection of taxes. Way too many loopholes exist. You have to consider really stupid stuff, even as an individual. You put up a dummy security camera on your house, if anybody is attacked \ hurt etc within reasonable view of that camera you can be liable (using the 'reasoning' somebody may allow an attack to occur instead of fleeing if they believe a monitored camera results in immediate police attention), don't point the camera at public spaces, always ensure any camera is monitored 24 7. Way too many crazy things to consider. Even as a photographer it was a mine field of permits, licenses and supporting local political campaigns \ pet projects. Opening a restaurant is even crazier, federal state and county all want their piece of the pie. Seriously when you get fined for not having a permit for a sign they require you to have because it is visible from the road because you trimmed the trees in the manner they required. Rules are good, rules for rules sake? Not so good.

I don't mind the tax so much if it isn't wasted. I do mind endless crap getting in the way of working, it takes money out of my pocket and the countries.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Facepalm

>So he'll be taxing off-shore cash piles unless they're repatriated and turned into jobs?

They tried back in Sept of 2010.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68R40I20100928

The response from the American voter, just 2 months later, was to give the GOP yet MORE power. (majority in the House)

You can't fix that kind of stupid with ANY "policy".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5000 headcount for the Pres visit?

that would be the Special Service agents...

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: 5000 headcount for the Pres visit?

I'm shocked, the brothel next to the amazon building has 4995 beds?

4. phantomsteve

A short-term solution, I'm guessing

Place your bets... how long until most of those 5,000 have been dismissed either because of misconduct, or because they have "failed" their probation period....?

1. Don Jefe
      Unhappy

Re: A short-term solution, I'm guessing

That is unfortunately the way it is in the South. Talk to any blue collar worker and they've all worked at all the factories and many of them end up being sent back to the same places in a never ending cycle of temp work. The majority of factories don't even accept applications directly, they all go through temp agencies.

5. Don Jefe

Enterprise South

The Enterprise South project in Chattanooga was a funny thing. They built the park, widened the Interstate and ran fiber all over the city and the park was basically empty for decade. No big clients moved in (Volkswagen, Amazon, et al) until the city and the state basically signed their rights to taxation away. Building the park nearly killed the city but Chattanooga does have really fast Internet now that they've started lighting up all the fiber that's been dark for ten years.

I've never understood why Amazon built their two centers so close together though. The Chattanooga and Charleston facilities are about 15 minutes away from each other. There's plenty of room at either place for both facilities. The Charleston site isn't in a developed park, it was a really big project to prep the site and there are no services there except a fireworks store.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Other news reports say....

Only 2000 of those jobs are permanent and the rest are part time and seasonal.

whoppee

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Amazon's warehouse workers ..

Amazon Warehouse Jobs – Up to 11.50/hr: Integrity Staffing is looking for smart, reliable and hardworking associates for warehouse jobs at the Amazon fulfillment center in Chattanooga, TN

Pay Rate: $10.50 - $11.50 per hour. As an employee of Integrity Staffing you may also be eligible for medical and dental benefits.

Job Duration: Integrity Staffing places qualified candidates to work on assignments at Amazon Warehouses on a temporary basis. Assignments vary in length. There is no guarantee to the length of the assignment. Length of employment is based on client’s business needs which can change.

Work Environment: -Temperature in the fulfillment center may vary between 60 and 90 degrees, and will occasionally exceed 90 degrees ..

Integrity Staffing is an Equal Opportunity Employer

US$11.50 = UK£7.59 ...

1. GotThumbs
      Boffin

Re: Amazon's warehouse workers ..

Exactly!

These are not high skilled jobs. This is good for those who lack any advanced skills, but wish to move up from fast food. For those in the US with college degrees, this does nothing.

SImply a PR moment for Obama, but nothing really for the nation to jump up and cheer about IMO.

1. Don Jefe
        Unhappy

Re: Amazon's warehouse workers ..

It is a step towards getting all the blue collar types back to work though, especially in the South. Prior to getting screwed by NAFTA there was a huge manufacturing base down there. Textiles, agriculture implements, automobile components, boats etc... All gone now.

The people in the South are proud and they want to work. Very few of them are satisfied sitting at home, dying from alcoholism and drawing a welfare check. They are never going to be 'educated' workers, but they'll be good workers and every economy needs those types to work properly. They got sailed down the river so a select few could rake in big profits. It was sad to watch the South die.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like