back to article Congestion Charge offers online tool for ANPR cam dodgers

Transport for London has provided a handy tool for those who would like to use false numberplates to fool any of the various networks of automatic numberplate recognition (ANPR) cameras now deployed across much of the UK. Using the capital's online congestion charge payment system, anyone can swiftly check what make and colour …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dogbyte

There are other ways

This isn't unique to TfL, you can look up registration numbers and get vehicle details on other sites too, eBay Motors for example.

2. Daniel Dainty

Site's dead now

Probably too many bots running on it.

Will try to run mine later.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What if...

...the car registration you decide to hack is owned by "the next Alexander Litvinenko" for instance, you might get a bit more attention from other sources than you perhaps bargained for.

4. Simon Aspinall

LMAO - Hi tech way of.

Looking at the damn car yourself whilst driving down the road.

Erm, it's not hard to find a reg of a black porsche now is it or any other car for that matter (perhaps a delorean might be hard to get hold of)

Slim

5. James Foreman

hmm...

It will generate some false positives- eg if I put in the license numbers of the last two vehicles I've had written off, they would still appear to exist. <Insert some mandatory comment about just checking in the post for every license number ever on a handy CD-ROM here>

6. michael

green spofing

if you use the database instead of driving around you save a lot of co2miles :)

7. Gary F

They've updated the site

Details of vehicles have been removed from the site now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

This isn't news, and you don't need the TfL web site

This isn't a TfL innovation. The Government have been publishing details of our vehicles on the web for quite a while now. Go to http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/ and click the "vehicle enquiry" option in the menu.

It will tell you lots of useful stuff, including whether the vehicle is licensed, which is very handy as then you know you won't get pulled in an ANPR tax disc check.

9. Stef
    Flame

Unscrew and fill up

Or you could just do as some thieving pikeys did to me - unscrew the plates from the matching vehicle, fit them to your chavmobile, and then fill up with petrol at my local station and drive off without paying!

10. Geoff Webber
    IT Angle

autotrader

even provides a handy manufacturer / model / colour matching service - just find the ones with the pictures and often enough the plates are there for all to see.

Then use the handy DVLA lookup to check that its got a valid RFL and your sorted.

What could be easier.

IT? - beats all that leg work and you can do it at work

11. dervheid
    Coat

Don't you just yearn...

for the "good old days" when the only people who could do all this were the plods!

And don't get me started on the latest parking 'Laws'

Mines the one with the blood pressure medication in the pockets...

12. Geoff Webber

even recognises very old cars

I put in the reg of my dads car which he purchased in 1969 and it came back with the correct details.

The DVLA site says it was last reg'd in 1982 - what a waste of processing power

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Noddy and Big Ears car....

...doesn't seem to be regged anymore :-(

14. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Wouldn't you just love it if....

...someone did this, and their car got crushed cos they'd cloned the plate of someone with £5000 outstanding fines?

This topic is closed for new posts.