back to article Intel reveals Atom CPU speeds and feeds

Intel announced its 'Silverthorne' processor's brand, Atom, last month and today it completed the picture with speeds and feeds details of what is physically smallest CPU the company's ever made. The Atom line-up comprises five CPUs all with 512KB of on-die L2 cache. The 800MHz Z500 and 1.1GHz Z510 both sit on a 400MHz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Dunn

Mini-ITX?

Should Intel decide to roll this out in a mini-itx format, they could have a winner. Especially considering that Intel is somewhat more 'open' with their hardware for open-source development than Via.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Mini-ITX?

I really hope we see these integrated into small form factor boards, even Micro-ATX as they would be excellent for homebrew firewalls if you could throw in a few network cards and a 2.5" HDD.

Even my home server would run nicely with something of this performance (it's P3 at the moment, shortly to be Pentium-M).

The only problem would be that even the best power supplies are not very efficient with such tiny loads...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard to believe Intel paper launch anouncements

Intel "released" the new 45nm CPUs in JANUARY - here it is APRIL and you still can't find any ANYWHERE There are several new CPUs but you can't find them available at ANY online retailers including the largest - Dell, CDW, NEWEGG, etc.

4. Nexox Enigma

Mini-ITX

"""I really hope we see these integrated into small form factor boards, even Micro-ATX as they would be excellent for homebrew firewalls if you could throw in a few network cards and a 2.5" HDD."""

Honestly a firewall doesn't need that much computing power. I've been looking at a mini-itx board with a 0.9W 500MHz Geode, dual gigabit, mini-pci slot, and a bootable CF card slot. Throw in a nice 600mW a/b/g wifi card and a 4gb CF card and you have yourself a nice / silent firewall and AP. I run a full on firewall on a PIII 450 right now, and it never goes over a few % cpu usage, even with QoS and Squid and 20mbit downloads.

I just hope this stuff makes it into a reasonable ultra portable laptop. I know its aimed at things the size of an Eee, but they've got more (Processing) power than my current (4 year old) ultra low voltage laptop CPU, which is plenty fast enough for me. But it probably won't run Vista well, so nobody will release it in a real computer... bah.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

New Intel CPUs

Newegg got the Wolfdale E8400 yesterday -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

I was going to buy a new system last month, but I'm holding out for a box with this puppy in it!

6. Bela Lubkin
    Boffin

power draw

How is it that a 3:1 difference in TDP translates to a 1.35:1 difference in power draw? Through the magic of lying on spec sheets?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like