back to article Rejoice! Sysadmin day is... TODAY. Now get in here and win free stuff

Today, this very Friday, is Sysadmin Day. As a system administrator, I'm naturally biased and think every day should be sysadmin day, but it's nice to know we have at least one day a year set aside for some recognition. What is really heartening to see is just how much awareness of the day has grown since its inception. As …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Cowherder

Cookies!

I've been given cookies!

Ones that you can actually eat, not ones that store preferences either!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Cookies!

That's fantastic! Happy sysadmin day to you and to all sysadmins everywhere. Even Australia. /cc Adam Fowler && Aaron Milne.

2. AdamFowler_IT

Over in Australia

Sysadmin day (the working day hours) are now over in Australia, nobody remembered here :(

1. Pete 48
      Meh

Re: Over in Australia

Australia is a large country, with an East Coast and a West Coast, just because it over for you in the East, doesnt mean its over for Australia.

We still have 30 minutes of working day left here in the west, and im still waiting for some acknowledgement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hey, he's an eastern stater... to them Australia is the east coast... well, unless from Sydney in which case Australia is Sydney.

2. AdamFowler_IT

Actually I'm a middler :) Sorry WA!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My bad fellow middler :)

3. Snark
    Happy

I'm going to celebrate in proper SysAdmin style. I've another 15hr work day planned due to completely unreasonable deadlines and understaffing. Still, I'll use the overtime to celebrate...

1. Roger Greenwood

You get overtime?

Lucky bastard.

1. Snark

Re: You get overtime?

I believe the argument goes along the line of refusing to work stupid hours without it and "we won't hire anyone else who can do it and our penalties for not doing the work are way more than paying you overtime costs". I am sure at some point insanity will prevail and they'll assume they can get it all done offshore to "save money".

4. rich0d

Going out and buying a dozen krispy kreme's for me and my co-workers, who have also probably no idea of the day of appreciation of us. :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My employee is celebrating by scheduling a massive database upgrade that will take 4 days to complete. Unless it was the sysadmins that scheduled the work and told the bosses it will take 4 days and now they're off partying...

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

It will be well past Beer O'clock here in Blighty.

I'd better head off down the Brewery before they are sold out (as they were last weekend) of beer or maybe I'll get some Hair of the Hog. Oh, these decisions are really hard. Isn't it the weekend yet

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Carefull though..

In many regions this day is hardly known and sometimes its considered 'cool' to know about it and to make a good impression as an employer.

I do think its important to be very careful in regions where it is better known. Take the article here; "you can enter a competition", however: "you only need to register here..". And that should really lead up to the question: "So what are you going to do with my data?".

In this case marketing, obviously, but it seems to be to a minor degree: "By clicking this button you submit your information to the webinar organizer, who will use it to communicate with you regarding this event and their other services". Obviously this isn't for me, I don't need more spam, thanks.

So keep that in mind as well. Organisations who may appear to acknowledge "sysadmin day" might not simply do so because they feel good about us sysadmins but because they hope to collect a lot of personal information which can then be used for plain old marketing purposes.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Carefull though..

From the first article about the webinar:

"None of the personal details used during registration will be retained after we've managed to get the swag out to the winners. I won't be providing the list of information to the vendors in the panel nor will I spam with you annoying marketing spam."

Rules are here.

Marketing? Not part of the plan. Not by half. This is about getting vendors to give you things, not about giving your info to vendors.

8. Huw D

SysAdmin day beers

Will be hitting the pub in 6 hours courtesy of the gifts of money from staff and vendors alike :D

9. Lee D Silver badge

Useless to me - I work in schools and apart from the odd caretaker or contractor, there's no-one else about.

Sysadmin Appreciation Day is pretty much the sysadmin working while everyone else is on holiday, for me.

10. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Still nothing here...

2 more hours and still nothing. But I generally get thank yous over the year so I'm not to let down about it.

11. OzBob

DId someone remember

to send Ed Snowden anything to celebrate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DId someone remember

We could have a whip-round and buy him a mobile phone?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SysUNadmin day

What day can we celebrate the obstructive and incompetent sysadmins?

The ones who say no

The ones who wait till the last minute then after several prods respond with a no

The ones who sit on all the planning meetings and sign off on design docs then raise objections at the 11th hour

The ones who fail to mention anything about how server A can't see server B due to their shitty network implementation

1. fran 2
      Happy

Re: SysUNadmin day

Lighten up man

2. MartinBZM
      Stop

HAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

Please stop or I'll ... Schedule you a Windows 'update'.

Ah, PubO'clock!

3. MissingSecurity
      Pint

Oh...You're one of those users....Enitilement...hmmm...*musing begins

13. Peter Simpson 1

Cake

We're getting ours a cake after lunch...they don't suspect a thing yet...

14. Redsyrup

Lunch on the company dime

A nice sit down lunch with the Director of IT is the most I can hope for. Everyone else and their uncle is oblivious.

15. Eric Kimminau TREG

My question

I would like to know what happens to all of the 5.25" floppies that I have put into the slot between my two floppy drives on the front of my computer. I think I have managed to fit 14 or 15 in there so far but my computer keeps asking me to "Insert next disk".

Thank you!

16. MrScott

Monadminday, Tuesadminday, Wedadminesday, Thursadminday, Friadminday, Sysadminday, Sunadminday

Know way to know for sure if sysadmin molecule is cis or trans, isomeric or chiral. All I know is when I add alcohol and stir the letters go all weird.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You've had your 5 minutes...

Now get back to work, tossers!

18. seebert

One great way to change this- if you are running your company's exchange or other calendar server- is to put a recurring appointment for the last Friday in July on everybody's calendars.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like