back to article Microsoft offers IE 11 preview for Windows 7 ... but not Windows 8

Microsoft has released a developer preview build of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7, breaking a pattern of dragging its feet when it comes to supporting the latest version of IE on the older OS. After shipping IE10 with Windows 8, Redmond took over a year to release a preview version that ran on Windows 7, and another three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 52

Save yourself the headache...

And install Chrome.

1. beep54
      Happy

Re: Save yourself the headache...

Better yet, install Chromium or Comodo Dragon (Chromium based), neither of which phones home to Google.

1. William 3 Bronze badge
        FAIL

Re: Do NOT use Comodo Dragon Browser!!!

I installed Comodo Dragon on your recommendations.

Interestingly I started getting adverts! Which surprised me. As I don't get adverts on Chrome, nor Firefox, nor IE!

I did a little check, I loaded up TheRegister in Chrome. No Adverts. I loaded up TheRegister in IE. No adverts.

I loaded up TheRegister in Comodo Dragon, and guess what. Adverts.

Do a search in Google "adtrust media comodo dragon web browser".

Low and Behold

"The Comodo Dragon Browser distributed by AdTrustMedia, LLC may use cookies and other technologies to enhance your online experience and to learn about how you use our services while surfing the web."

Lovely!! I've just added

127.0.0.1 adtrustmedia.com

To my hosts file.

Now why would I trust Comodo Dragon, given it appears to be serving it's OWN adverts on OTHER peoples websites!!

Absolutely bleeding awful!!

To anyone thinking about using this product! Please don't!

Instead of giving your browsing habits to Google, you're giving them to Adtrustmedia.

The full T&C's....

"The Comodo Dragon Browser distributed by AdTrustMedia, LLC may use cookies and other technologies to enhance your online experience and to learn about how you use our services while surfing the web. A “cookie” is a small file containing a string of characters that uniquely identifies your browser. While most browsers accept cookies by default, you can manually set your browser to refuse all cookies, accept cookies from specific websites, or highlight when a cookie is sent to your browser. AdTrustMedia, LLC’s servers may also automatically record information for operational purposes when you visit a website, including the URL that directed you to a website, your IP address, browser type and the date and time of your visit."

MAJOR FAIL!!!

2. hplasm
      Coat

And install Linux.

*ducks*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Save yourself the headache... @hplasm

Wow. I really hope you have no influence on anyone's software installation decisions.

1. hplasm
          Meh

Re: Save yourself the headache... @hplasm

Good for you, whoever you are.

2. Euripides Pants
        Linux

Re: *ducks*

No, Linux is PENGUINS dammit!

3. Antonymous Coward
      Mushroom

RICHTO must be thrilled at the prospect of trying to re-spin this one.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the browser that leaves url associations screwed when you uninstall it, reports usage metrics in many different and uniquely identifiable ways.

Nah, I'll stick with Firefox. It may sometimes cause me frustration, but I'll take that, thanks.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Best not use Chrome these days. Google is watching everything you do like The Borg that it is...

Also the last 3 major versions of IE have all been faster than the current version of Chrome on release, have had far fewer security vulnerabilities and are far more effective at blocking malware...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Google is watching everything you do like The Borg that it is..."

I prefer the Borg to The Vogons !

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Firefox is the only browser not developed to advance the plans of some money grubbing tech giant.

2. Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum

I just installed IE 11 on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 laptop. Installation went well but now my desktop gadgets won't work.

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

Well, it is a developer preview, not the final product.

2. Malcolm 1
    3. Julian 3

Same here. The Gadgets have become corrupted including the AVG one. Strange!

3. Zorro456

Firefox

Better Yet, Firefox locked down

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

curiously July 26th 2013 is...

the last day of the Microsoft 'bug-hunt' for IE11, as part of the Windows 8.1 preview programme.

what chance all 'discovered bugs' (aka vulnerabilities) will have been disclosed?

5. Ru

From the look of it, the only way to get IE11 running on Windows 8 will be to install the Windows 8.1 update when it eventually ships

Hooray for tight integration between applications and the operating systems they run on. Is it still the case that the only way to run multiple versions of IE on a single OS instance is to use Wine on Linux, or similar?

Sometimes I wonder if the company as a whole would have been better off if it was broken up back when the big antitrust cases were kicking off in the US. The corporate politics, unnecessary interdependencies and Windows before everything attitude hasn't done them many favours in the intervening years.

6. JDX Gold badge

Cool

I was suspecting we wouldn't even get IE11 on W7, which would be a shame since they finally added WebGL support - meaning developers can finally start to use it as a serious option.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cool

Why bother ?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Cool

Because it's better than IE10?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redesigned developer tools.

*holds breath in anticipation*

If IE manages to upgrade it's developer tools to even close to the point everyone else had them 10 years ago it'll truly be a day of celebration.

1. an it guy

Re: Redesigned developer tools.

Try this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bg182632%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It looks good to my mind. The UI responsiveness and usage information is not as easily charted in other browsers (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not a fan of IE, but if this keeps the competition on their toes, then it's a good thing

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Redesigned developer tools.

oooh... that does look like it's definitely approaching usefulness.

While these days Firefox is a bit of a memory hog and unstable at times, the developer tools (FireBug, DomInspector, Web Developer) make it invaluable.

8. Tom 13

I doubt this statement is actually true:

breaking a pattern of dragging its feet when it comes to supporting the latest version of IE on the older OS.

I take it as more of an implicit admission of the Windows 8 failure. Windows 7 is the most recent version of the software you'll typically find in the field.

9. stephajn
    FAIL

Reporting FAIL

"After shipping IE10 with Windows 8, Redmond took over a year to release a preview version that ran on Windows 7, and another three months after that to ship the final version."

Uhhhh...considering that the final version of Windows 8 came out in October of last year and it is only July...how in the WORLD does the above statement hold any truth???

I wonder...is he talking about the preview of IE10 that may have shipped with the very first beta of Windows 8?

10. Wibble
    Facepalm

What is this "windows" prerequisite?

How am I going to install IE11 on my Mac?

Strange; I can run every other browser except IE. Ho hum, I guess I'll just have to get used to missing out on the excitement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like