back to article Seagate dock hands: Tea, lads? Fewer hard disks than last year, eh...

Seagate's fourth quarter and full year results show a company that's declining in revenues, profits and disk drive units. The hard disk business just isn't spinning as fast as it used to. The company shipped 53.9 million units in the quarter, down from 65.9 million a year earlier, representing a shipments slip of 18 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justin Stringfellow

not moore's law but...

While we'll always lap up faster and faster CPUs, I'm wondering what the supply and demand scenario is for storage. Is it not possible that the current 1TB+ drives are providing more storage than is necessarily being asked for?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: not moore's law but...

Just ask your friendly state-run intelligence service.

2. dajames
      Meh

Is it not possible that the current 1TB+ drives are providing more storage than is necessarily being asked for?

More and more people are storing more and more photographs, music tracks, and video, and it all has to go somewhere. While it may be convenient to store some of that on the cloud you'd have to be mad not to store anything you cared about on media that you control.

And back it up.

More than once.

My not-so-new-now consumer grade DSLR creates RAW images that are around 25MB each. It's not difficult to fill a 1TB drive with those alone in a year or two.

I develop software, and have to test the code I write in different environments. Sometimes have to work on the move, so my laptop needs a 1TB drive just to hold the VM images I use on a daily basis (though it's possible that my use case is not entirely typical).

3. jonathanb Silver badge

No. It is impossible for a hard drive to have too much capacity.

2. Chris Miller

The infallible Google Translate

turns your Thai into:

Children less than tea? Hard to load than a year, not really.

3. ABapple

Seagate reliablility history

I don't know what current Seagate drive reliability is but anecdotally over the past 15 years I have had some catastrophic failures from Seagate drives never WD. That being the case I will happily pay 1.5X more for a WD drive of same capacity since no warranty covers the time (and perhaps data) lost when a drive fails.

I have heard that newer WD drive also suffer from increased failure rates (especially drive electronics) so perhaps it is all just random luck.

What would get me to purchase a drive would be if it came packaged with a one click clone software package allowing me to precisely clone my existing boot drive onto the new drive. I know there are lots of clone packages out there but they all seem to have their problems. I can't be that hard to have software for one purpose only, namely to create an exact copy of the primary drive which will boot when installed into the computer. I know my IT department does it all the time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like