back to article Curses! Reddit plan for fat old beardy to 'smell hot pop girl Taylor Swift's hair' FOILED

A campaign to get a fat, "creepy", and apparently over-aged bloke to win a contest to have his picture snapped backstage with country music popstrel Taylor Swift has backfired. The radio station - Boston's Kiss 108 FM - running the competition issued a terse statement that brought the race to pose alongside the Grammy Award- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ahhh it's been a while since the channers have done something that tickles me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

4chan

Well I'm a bit disappointed the 4chan folks didn't do anything with the whole "royal baby name" thing. While the world was waiting for the name to be announced, 4chan might have picked a name themselves and started tweeting and retweeting it. Wouldn't be long before a few tardy news outlets picked it up, then that would become a source for more mainstream news, which brings legitimacy to a breaking story on News24, and so on. Hilarity ensues when the palace goes to make the proper announcement.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

remember Time's man-of-the-year?

I sure Mr Poole does.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@AC 15:30 - >"ahhh it's been a while since the channers have done something that tickles me."

What - like getting arrested for making bomb threats and making school shooting threats? Yeah, those lovable 4chan losers are just freakin' amusing as hell.

1. Fibbles

It's a mob, you realise that there's no concerted plan right?

I'm at a loss as to why the article keeps mentioning Reddit, they don't appear to be doing anything other than claiming credit for 4chan's antics.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" like getting arrested for making bomb threats and making school shooting threats? "

You seem to think that they're a homogenous group of entirely like-minded people. Its a big site, and a big userbase; presumably you've only ever heard of /b/, and even then only a very small subset of their activities? Its super that you take such pride in your angry ignorance, but feel free not to share it with the rest of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't mess with football!

2. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

@AC 09:22 - >"You seem to think that they're a homogenous group of entirely like-minded people. Its a big site, and a big userbase; presumably you've only ever heard of /b/, and even then only a very small subset of their activities?"

Original poster was discussing their "pranks", and I was discussing their "pranks". You want me to list all the 4chan member arrests? It would take awhile.

I don't care how big the site is. They have certain "pranksters", and their idea of a good "laugh" is threatening to shoot up a school, or threatening to bomb a government building, or launching one of their many stupid and pointless DDoS attacks. I'm really not amused.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe he should have been Swift and had his facial hair Taylored a little bit.

3. Fehu
    Pirate

Perfect description of a 4chan exploit

I found this on Fox News and would not normally repost it except... Well, you'll see:

That could be an homage to a famous Danish resistance poem published during Nazi occupation — or just a crude reference to an obscure sexual practice.

This was in reference to the Time Magazine poll rigging. If one can have your marks wondering between two such vast extremes, you have truly bent their reality.

4. Professor Clifton Shallot

Looks like the lovechild of

Charlie Brooker and Adam Buxton.

Either of whom would have been entertaining winners of this contest.

5. ElNumbre
    Paris Hilton

Meaning

"the chance to be photographed with the dirty blonde, be-fringed one."

I was going to ask how this compares to Paris Hilton, but then realized that it could be taken many ways.

Like Paris Hilton.

1. teebie

Re: Meaning

Comma location matters

Taylor is the dirty blonde, be-fringed one

Paris is the dirty, blonde be-fringed one

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

But is he tall enough for it.

She's like, a giraffe.

1. Thorne

Re: But is he tall enough for it.

Or short enough? He didn't specify which lot of hair.....

7. Arachnoid

So they made a Swift retraction to the prize winner

8. joeW

Hang on now...

"Users on 4Chan were behind the campaign"

"Redditors were quick to spread the news online and back the campaign"

So....a 4chan Plan then, not a Reddit Plan? At a push, perhaps "4chan Plan, supported by Reddit users".

1. Jonathon Green
      Go

Re: Hang on now...

"So....a 4chan Plan then, not a Reddit Plan? At a push, perhaps "4chan Plan, supported by Reddit users"

Or maybe a 4chan plan using a Reddit exploit as the attack vector :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's fat-beardism, that is. Objection!

1. Ralph B

Fat-Beardism

Half-way there: Proud To Be Stout.

10. JustWondering
    Happy

Inspiration

May we expect an album soon about the trauma this has caused the banged one?

1. Dan 37
      Happy

Re: Inspiration

The banged one? outside the US (or at least inside the UK) that would imply another celebrity sex tape rather than a new album.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Inspiration

I'm pretty sure it the same implication can be made in the US.

11. Dan 37

"It also meant that thousands of young girls would miss out on the chance to be photographed with the dirty blonde, be-fringed one."

not thousands, surely? Just the one that would have won if he hadn't been involved.

12. Crisp

Always nice to see Anon doing something useful

Now if they could only do something about Justin Beeber!

13. Ben Rosenthal

How is this a reddit plan? all they did was report it. Does that mean it's now also a register plan?

I think Charles should take legal action for this disgusting discrimination. It's ageist, sexist and beardist...all points I have a vested interest in!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm such a geek

You know you're a geek when you're more interested in the frequency - 108 FM would be encroaching into the air band (nav) ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WXKS-FM says it's 107.9 so they've rounded it up!

I'll get my coat, mine's the one with a scanning directory in the pocket.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how did they fail to protectgA campaign to get a fat, "creepy", and apparently over-aged bloke to win a contest to have his picture snapped backstage with country music popstrel Taylor Swift has backfired.

What do you mean it backfired - I'm sure I saw Ed Sheeran next to her on the BGT final

16. Wing_Chun_Master

I wouldn't mind sniffing Taylor's fringe :D

17. BornToWin

There are a lot of dirtbags out there

It's amazing what these scumbags will do to get attention.

18. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Don't get me wrong..

I think she's a rather sweet, rather sexy gee-rafe (I think it works better with a Southern accent)

Just a bit tall.

Actually I think she's making me channel Bernie Eccleston at this moment.....

This topic is closed for new posts.