back to article Azure inhales open source Java implementation

Microsoft and Azul Systems have hoisted the open source Java implementation OpenJDK onto the Redmond's Azure cloud, giving developers access to the language on Azure's Windows-based cloud services. The news was announced by Azul Systems at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention in Portland, Oregon, on Wednesday. The OpenJDK for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Somehow despite being a part-time Java developer, I never heard of OpenJDK. How does it compare to the Oracle implementation (and any others still floating around)?

Is it possible, since Oracle are being so slow with Java, that OpenJDK could actually implement a new version before Oracle do?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OpenJDK is more detailed

OpenJDK is the (available for flipping years!) development trunk of old, current and new Java versions, where you can get more in-depth (private) source code from, see:

http://openjdk.java.net/

Oracle builds for a new Java versions tend to stop being released there when the production releases start.

If you want to see the private JDK source code (not in the SDK), OpenJDK is compulsory; all competent Java developers should know this!

1. JOKM

Re: OpenJDK is more detailed

Oracle is in the process of handing over their code to the openJDK project, as of version 8 they are effectively the same thing, in fact openJDK points you to oracle's websites for some of the production jdks.

2. JDX Gold badge

Why do I want to look at JDK source code?

And there's the Reg community in a nutshell - ask a totally legitimate question and get one answer and 4 downvotes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"And there's the Reg community in a nutshell - a well-known Microsoft shill asks a totally legitimate question and get one answer and 4 downvotes."

FTFYA

2. Bob Vistakin
    Holmes

Sigh

One day you're using lots of big fancy words and diagrams trying to figure out how a calendar works, the next you're trumpeting the very thing you tried to destroy when it seemed such a threat.

What a topsy turvy world it must be in the Microsoft marketing department these days as they attempt to show a leopard can change its spots by somehow rewritiing history. Good job there's no one around to remind everyone of what's really going on.

Oh, wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

I note the 'kill java' emails are about 15 years old; that's a hell of a long time in tech land. Board members, execs, entire product families have come and gone since then. The company and the people are not the same; the old crush-em-all monopoly days over and much as they might wish otherwise, they're not coming back. Modern management are going to have to be increasingly pragmatic if they expect their stuff to survive.

Seriously. The old Microsoft is gone. You need never have anything to do with them or their products ever again. The world has moved on; perhaps it is time for you to move with it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The old Microsoft is gone. You need never have anything to do with them or their products ever again"

Unless you work in 99% of enterprises. Or you want a PC, laptop, phone or tablet that actually works...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Alan Bourke

Yes. I sometimes wonder whether the 'never need to use Microsoft again' brigade have ever encountered your average enterprise and the software that needs to be run therein.

I'm typing this on OpenSUSE, before you start.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"One day you're using lots of big fancy words and diagrams trying to figure out how a calendar works,"

Azure might have had the odd hiccup, but it's still been far more reliable than AWS....and the storage is faster.

3. Goth
    Black Helicopters

Squirmy NSA Azure execrable in PRISM

Dicey dicey skulduggery. Feed business data into maudlin claws of NSA, tossed like Smaug The Terrible in troves of golden golden spying.

Spying Spying clandestine Azure! Bestow all precious Data to Azure, NSA big data wants it!

Bestow precious hallowed Data to Windows 8.1 - which feeds data to the NSA - scratch that - advertising partners, to give you a personalised Ad experience

Bestow precious data to Microsoft, do it, do it NOW! Gets your credits cards paranoia is vacuo, think ee not, buy obfuscated services, mutant subscriptions $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Squirmy NSA Azure execrable in PRISM

Look at me!!! I've got a silly posting style!!! I wish I was as cool as that man from mars!!!

1. Alan Bourke

Re: Squirmy NSA Azure execrable in PRISM

Hey, I'm mad, me!

Wibble!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like