back to article Apple earnings slip, but numbers beat Wall Street estimates

Apple – unlike its tech-industry compatriots Microsoft, Google, Intel, BlackBerry, and über-rival Samsung – surprised most Wall Street moneymen by turning in slightly better than expected numbers for its third fiscal quarter of 2013, reporting revenues of $35.3bn, net income of $6.9bn, and the all-important earnings per share ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. unwarranted triumphalism

So it's official

Apple are still failing. Can't wait for tomorrow to make the fanbois in the office eat it.

1. El_Fev

Re: So it's official

@unwarranted triumphalism - seriously puberty try it :S

2. Mark .

Indeed - sadly you've just got to look at the mainstream media (who are fanbois) to see the response - it's being spun as "Apple beat expectations", with little mention of the massive slide in iphone and ipad sales this year. This is particularly embarrassing in a growing market - Symbian got slated by the media for years after 2007 because its market share wad falling, despite it still growing in absolute numbers!

Similar double standard for earnings - in quarters were Nokia's finances have done worse, but weren't as bad as estimates, the media then spin that as how bad it is, and how Nokia are doomed...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which "massive slide in iPhone sales" was that exactly? They sold quite a few more iPhones this year than they did in the same quarter last year, which is most relevant figure since they always sell many more each fall due to the introduction of the new model. They will easily end up selling more iPhones in 2013 than they sold in 2012.

The slide in iPad sales from last year was larger than expected but not surprising since they didn't introduce any new iPad models this spring as they'd done last spring. If they fail to beat last year's iPad sales in the fall quarter after the new models come out, then you can talk about iPad sales declining.

When they report their results this January for the fall quarter which also includes Christmas and the sales numbers spike massively higher, I have a feeling you'll be using the "this was only because of the new models" excuse and be ready to slag on them for another massive drop in sales three months hence.

It sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder regarding Nokia and feel Apple (in cahoots with the media I guess?) is somehow to blame. While I might give Apple a lot of the blame/credit for RIM's downfall, I don't think they had much to do with where Nokia is now. Instead blame Microsoft for sending their boy Elop and hamstringing them with a Windows only strategy. He's the guy who blew up Nokia, not Apple or the media.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MtM (tm) steps up to the plate as usual.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Apple's revenue guidance for the quarter was between $33.5bn and $35.5bn."

And the actual came in that range - sounds like people should actually listen to Apple rather than these analysts - perhaps they really do have crystal balls but they probably could do with a clean.

It's hardly some big deal when Apple actually achieve what they say they will and this is the quarter when there have been no new (major) releases and many people I know are waiting for the new iPhone, iPad and updated Macbook Pros in the coming months - let alone any new products.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Office or did you mean playground ;-)

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Upgrade cycle versus new carriers

The point regarding the upgrade cycle needs to be tempered by the greater reach into the market through new carriers: I-Phones were not available a year ago on all US networks, they are now.

All in all, however, the figures demonstrate the same trend as other manufacturers have: the market for smartphones is becoming saturated.

Tablets could be more interesting: the market clearly isn't saturated. A breakdown of the various models would cast some light on whether the lower margin I-Pad Minis helping to maintain market share albeit with lower margins. This might indicate how Apple may move in the future: if lower (but still very healthy) margin products are doing well then we can expect something similar for the phones.

3. Mage Silver badge

Smartphones and Tablets

My two sons and I have all 2 x Smartphones each, but only one has a tablet (he has Kindle too), I have a Kindle too.

But though phone ownership is 120% here and most that want a Smart phone have one, we are not far off Tablet saturation. People that never go anywhere and have a laptop are poor prospects. At bottom end of Market even normally expensive Archos has a €60 / £50 tablet.

The Surface RT was obviously x2 to x3 to expensive for general public, is Apple stuff too expensive for people that haven't bought it yet? A high proportion already of Apple sales are to existing users upgrading. That won't run at current level forever. Apple change strategy and produce a £50 iPad or £99 phone? I doubt it and if they do it will be the beginning of the end.

4. FuzzyTheBear
    Meh

In other news ..

The people who make their devices are still treated like shit and paid pennies ..

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: In other news ..

And nerds would rather whinge about it on an internet forum than actually get off their arses and do something about it.

2. Gordon 10

Re: In other news ..

The people who make all CE devices are still treated like shit and paid pennies ..

There fixed that for ya.

5. JDX Gold badge

iPhones and iPads with truly revolutionary features and capabilities.

I don't think we need or want that, any more than I want my PC to be revolutionised - they already do what is needed of them.

6. Smoking Gun

Here is an iPhone 4, here is an iPhone 5, it's the same. But we'll have that $34.99 for a new charging cable please. Never going to buy an iPhone again.

1. Colin Wilson 2

Huh?

You get a 'free' charging cable with your phone. Replacement ones are $19.99 from Apple for both the old 30-pin charging cables, and the new lightning ones.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nose diving tablets, someone else taking a massive hit on ttheir phones.

They got the phone companies to sign up on the dotted line for quantities and years so no surprises there.

No losses for Apple but a massive financial hit for many of their network customers.

Once bitten, twice shy so do we now have an exodus?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like