back to article Put the 3 Rs back in British Education: Infographics, Nextification, Chemicals

”The period of schooling should be shortened, education should be revolutionized, and the domination of our schools by bourgeois intellectuals should by no means be allowed to continue.” - Mao Tse-Tsung, "The Whole Country Should Become a Great School of Mao Tse-Tung's Thought", Editorial, Renmin Ribao August 1966 It is rare …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alister

Only the Bongster finds these kinds of synergies - sb

Given the context of the quote (Chemicals!) I misread that as syringes...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silicon roundabout...

I found myself explaining to somebody yesterday that Shoreditch isn't about technology, it isn't about people talking about technology, it's about people talking about people talking about technology. In fact, it's {insert hated politician of choice}'s idea of a technology hub.

Steve Bong is right about one thing, though. Silicon Valley executives can send their kids to Steiner schools and other technology-free institutions without worrying about it. But that's because they will, on graduating from a suitable college with suitable degree courses, immediately be catapulted into a job where other people will do all the work. It's like the illiterate minor scions of Renaissance aristocracy getting immediately made a bishop so they never had to read anything in public.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shoreditch

it has ditch in it's name, what more can I say?

Infographics - for wankers that have no grasp or concept not only of numbers but how those numbers can be used to tell whatever you want them to.

1. Tom 38
      Pint

Re: Shoreditch

Why all the hating on infographics? Yes, they are a way to Fisher Price spreadsheets and numbers so that idiots who can't understand numbers can understand it, but they are a way to make idiots who can't understand numbers understand it!

Of course, all great things can be used for good or evil.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On actual education

The period of schooling should be shortened, education should be revolutionized, and the domination of our schools by bourgeois intellectuals should by no means be allowed to continue.”

I agree and disagree with this quote.

The period of schooling, are they refering to the age at which children are taught? Or the time of day at which school finishes.

In either case I would argue the opposite. In terms of school day I'd much rather see the school day extended to 5:30pm, whether it be by lessons or by 'club activities' this is for two reasons.

1: Working parents don't finish work until 5, so they can't pick up their children.

2: Work day finishes at 5, get them used to finishing at 5 and they'lladjust easier to working life.

So far as age of education, my arguement is along the lines of, we're all going to college anyway, those of us who aren't going to college tend to wind up job hunting for a year or so before they find anything. Have the option to work, if they can get a job lined up for when they finsih (leavers job fair etc) and have college as manditory for the remainder. Might as well.

Revolutionize Curriculum

I agree with this. Sure teach history and religion in middle school. But by senior school most people I knew had a good idea of what they wanted with their lives, those of us who had no interest in history or RE just slept through those lessons, a waste of our time and the teachers. Give kids option to drop a certain number of subjects so they can focus on the ones they care about. You know what you hate, even if you don't know what you like.

Additionally I agree somewhat on the English comment (even if it was in jest) there is no point learning shakespeare or reading 'Of mice and men' time and effort would be far better spent teaching the following

Grammer; Technical writing; Creative writing; Analysis; Reports etc etc etc.

Give kids something they'll actually use in English lessons, rather than reading Macbeth 10 times.

Maths, do we really need all that advanced algebra? I haven't used anything I learnt at school from maths aside from the basic and on the very rare occasion trig, which I've had to look up again because it's been so long since I used it.

I'd like to point out now that the majority of my advice so far has been to strip parts out of the current education, and to rework others to give better, real life applications for them. There is a good reason for this. We try to cram in too much. 1 hour lessons once a week, of which 20 minutes is spent shuffling in chairs, getting ready to leave, getting from one class to another etc. We're trying to cram too much into too little time.

Finally, the only thing I want to see added to the curriculum. Life skills.

After leaving school I had not been taught the following

1: Basic electronics, (wiring plugs etc)

2: Basic home saftey (where gas taps, meters / water mains etc are)

3: How to pay bills

4: What appears on a paycheck

5: How credit cards work

6: How to rent a propperty

They teach yo uall this curriculum that you never use again apart from perhaps in pub trivia (Anne Boleyn was beheaded, woohoo 1 point!) and yet they don't teach you all this basic stuff which might actually be of use to you in the future.

1. Tom 38
      Headmaster

Re: On actual education

Is Grammer Kramer's little brother?

2. P_0

Finally, the only thing I want to see added to the curriculum. Life skills.

After leaving school I had not been taught the following

1: Basic electronics, (wiring plugs etc)

2: Basic home saftey (where gas taps, meters / water mains etc are)

3: How to pay bills

4: What appears on a paycheck

5: How credit cards work

6: How to rent a propperty

You forgot some:

7: Tying shoelaces

8: Not looking directly at the sun.

9: Drinking bleach

1. wowfood

You think they should teach how to drink bleach at school? Hmm... Makes sense.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You forgot some

You may mock, but there are plenty of people blundering through life without having ever learnt some of those pretty basic life skills (the ones in the original post, not your sarky additions), so maybe teaching them in schools wouldn't be such a dumb idea as you seem to be implying. Isn't that stuff basically what Home Ec used to be?

1. Don Jefe
          Meh

Re: You forgot some

I counter all that with Uruguay. The country is pumping out highly educated young adults who are working all over the world in scientific and engineering fields. The school day is over at lunchtime and by the time they go to college they have a better education that most European, US or Canadian college undergrads. They aren't there to be coddled and dithered with, they're there to learn, which they do exceptionally well and they still have enough time to experience the world.

Longer days are a waste of everyone's time. Teach, fail those that don't learn and move the kids on. Don't waste these important years teaching specialties; teach core things like math, language and history and by the time they are college age they are ready for college level studies. As it stands now many, many college grads can't even do basic geometry or algebra when they graduate.

3. hplasm
      Headmaster

6a. How to spell 'property'

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I haven't used anything I learnt at school

Really, you might have stopped there.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Truly another great hit from the Bong

Make of that what you will.

6. P_0

Hive Mind? SIngularity?

Memories of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri come rushing back. Can't type for long, gotta nerve staple some drones.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spot on! Once again.

Thank you SB. (Ok, I know it's REMOVED BY MODERATOR actually.) "Nextification"... made my day.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No tax lessons? how about lessons in knowing your place and not challenging the ruling classes?

This topic is closed for new posts.