Recommendations for SIM with data allowances in Russia

This topic was created by Fogcat .

1. Fogcat
    Meh

Recommendations for SIM with data allowances in Russia

I'm travelling to Russia for a fortnight at the end of September (pleasure not business so I'll be paying out of my own pocket) and contacted T-Mobile to see how much they'd rip me off for using a smart phone.... and yep either - 3Mb for £5, 10Mb for £10 or 50Mb for £30.

So when in a strange foreign city and it would be useful to look at maps, find restaurants etc.it's prohibitively expensive.

So does anyone know of any voice and data SIM providers which will work in Russia and don't want the shirt of my back?

2. unlock

I travel a lot and have unlocked my mobile so that i can switch over to the local network of that country where I stay.It turns economical for me.When I was in Russia I found Megafon network very economical.

3. xehpuk

Megafon have the best coverage as far as I know and they have plenty of stores where you can get the SIM card. I payed 200 roubles for a month with internet + 200 so I could making some calls too. Remember to bring your passport when you go to buy the SIM card.

4. joody

when I was in Russia I bought a sim card at the train station for $ 5. there was a very cheap internet, but calls to home (the U.S.) are quite expensive, but in such cases I recommend buying a calling card. I use this

( www.comfi.com ). There also have the Internet, but the Internet profitable for the local operator, or wi-fi which in Russia are everywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon