back to article Verizon joins T-Mobile, AT&T with early phone upgrade plan

Well, that was quick. The number-one US wireless carrier, Verizon Wireless, has announced its plan, dubbed Edge, to allow its subscribers to upgrade their phones more quickly, not unlike the recently announced T-Mobile Jump and AT&T Next plans. "If you want to stay on top of the latest technology, the new Verizon Edge device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One thing to keep in mind....

Due to Verizon being CDMA, and the CDMA standard NOT requiring the security elements to be embodied in a standardized form (i.e. SIM), you pretty much have to get a Verizon specific phone - not just a CDMA phone, but one tied to Verizon vs. being usable on the other CDMA networks (e.g. Sprint).

One fine day, when VoLTE is standardized, and everybody has moved to LTE (which does specify the security data be in a SIM), maybe that will change.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: One thing to keep in mind....

The CDMA thing is definitely a disadvantage for Verizon. They make up for it with network coverage though. About 40% of my time is in travel around the U.S. and overall Verizon has the widest coverage. I guess there are advantages from every carrier depending on where you live/spend time.

2. csumpi
      Pint

I don't think CDMA or Verizon lock is an issue. And the reason is simple: Verizon offers best coverage and best service. There's absolutely no reason to move to another provider.

1. Trahloc
        Thumb Down

Best? As a Sprint customer who relies heavily on data usage, I find that an absurd description of Verizon.

3. Bob Camp

You do know that the GSM phones are locked, right? If you buy an AT&T phone, you can only put an AT&T SIM into it until your contract expires (assuming you don't owe them and money). That makes the SIM concept essentially useless. Even prepaid phones generally have a two month waiting period before they'll let you unlock the phone.

FYI, unlocking your phone without your carrier's permission is illegal in the U.S. You are allowed to buy a phone that's already unlocked.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, if you buy a GSM phone from a carrier it will be locked. However, you can buy a GSM phone from somebody else (manufacturer, non-carrier distributor) and it will be unlocked.

There is no such option with a CDMA phone, because the security elements are contained within the phone and cannot be programmed by the end user (e.g. by putting in a SIM), so there is no way to go to e.g. Motorola and buy a CDMA phone, then provision it on Verizon or Sprint as you see fit. You pretty much have to buy the phone from Verizon already provisioned for the Verizon network.

2. Stephen Clifford

O2 Refresh

Just for comparison though, how do these US plans compare the O2 Refresh in the UK? On that you can get a new phone whenever you want - they just split your bill to show your 'Phone Plan' and 'Airtime Plan' and if you want a new phone, you pay off just the 'Phone Plan' contract.

1. Mike Brown
      WTF?

Re: O2 Refresh

A really odd thing is that on O2 refresh the price you pay for the phone depends on the tarriff. Which under this new model, i thought couldnt happen. hmmm

3. Mike Brown

defaulting on this?

if you dont pay, would this type of plan result in 2 defualts? One for the phone, and one for plan?

4. Gil Grissum

Sprint is next

Sprint has lagged on this and needs to come up with some annual upgrade offer that is more compelling than the AT&T and Verizon offers. They obviously can't go with an offer similar to AT&T and Verizon because they aren't one and two. They are number three. So they need to come up with something more compelling, that will make current Sprint customers want to remain with them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like