back to article Flogging mobe ads over summer? Come to us, pleads Facebook

Ad giant Facebook's latest wheeze for making dosh out of mobe users is to encourage adland to splash its cash on mobile ads during the summer, claiming that sun-seeking punters are away from their tellies and missing their vital advertising fix. The social network reckons that summer is a "pivotal moment" for mobile ads and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would they do that

When they can flog those ads to the reg and have them put up as reviews?

2. Ragarath

The company said it now rakes in 30 per cent of its ad revenue from mobiles

Yes because it is easier to accidentally hit an ad on a mobile, thus the site gets charged a click through rate rather than a your ad was briefly shown rate. And this even though the person that accidentally did this left the site instantly.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was sure as hell right

"The social network reckons that summer is a "pivotal moment" for mobile ads"

Yup: They can go swivel.

1. adnim

Re: He was sure as hell right

I like your thinking.... have an upvote

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Best minds of my generation are thinking how to make people click ads"

"The Social-Media Bubble Is Quietly Deflating: The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads - That sucks"...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-16/the-social-media-bubble-is-quietly-deflating#r=rss

1. adnim

Re: "Best minds of my generation are thinking how to make people click ads"

The best minds of my generation have worked out how to block ads

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The best minds of my generation have worked out how to block ads"

Agree with the sentiment. But in reality its horsesh*t. Read about the Hulu tracking scandal, ETAGS, Cached Sessions, Flash Cookies... SuperCookies... Still think you've escaped? Then do a unique Bowser Test on all your browsers on all devices (BrowserSpy.dk)... You'll soon realize we're losing the privacy war folks..... /Mozilla = Anti-Business Extremists

1. adnim

Re: "The best minds of my generation have worked out how to block ads"

It seems NoScript, Adblock, BetterPrivacy, Ref Control, CookieMonster and User Agent Addons for Firefox do a pretty good job of hiding or misreporting the data sent/available during the session.

Basically BrowserSpy.dk reported my IP address, Browser, OS and DNS service correctly and precious little else.

I didn't enable scripts for the page, that would defeat the purpose of having NoScript. The downside of not allowing scripts to run is not knowing which tests rely on javascripting to display results and which tests rely on it to harvest data.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "The best minds of my generation have worked out how to block ads"

3 questions:

1. If scripts are blocked from running, is that an absolute guarantee that all Add-ons / Plug-ins including 'Flash' across all browsers are effectively disabled, yes or no?

2. The Hulu scandal revived dead zombie cookies using ETAGS / Cached Sessions. If all scripts are disabled are cached sessions also disabled too by default, yes or no?

3. When you ran BrowserSpy.dk with scripts off, how common was your browser reported to be?

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

How are sun-seeking punters going to buy anything...

... if they've just ran up a huge mobile data bill while roaming?

7. h3

Is there any devices that support facebook mobile ad's that actually have a screen that you can read reasonably in the sun ?

8. Rashomon

Oh no ... my add blocker will be working all summer long while I lay around and not watch TV. I'm heartbroken.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like