back to article BitTorrent's share 'n' sync tool comes to Android

BitTorrent's share 'n' sync tool, the prosaically-named BitTorrent Sync, has emerged from Alpha testing and is now yours to wield on the desktop and Android devices. There's nothing new in features that allow access from those two classes of device, and not much in BitTorrent Sync that makes it stand out from Dropbox and its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks promising, having your own proper cloud with no middleman makes it tonnes better than Dropbox.

Nice to see it runs on FreeBSD, FreeNAS, NAS4Free etc.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Holmes

So

What can this do that ownCloud can't?

1. MrXavia

Re: So

Competition is good, even in the OpenSource world!

it will run on NAS's, something that OwnCloud seriously fails in, I've tried using it on a NAS and a RaspberryPi, both were lacking in power to use it, making it unreliable to the point I bit the bullet and built my own mini-itx based server.

I have been looking for a non-PHP alternative to OwnCloud for a while, and this might be it!

3. Sebastian Brosig
    Linux

Competition is good, even in the OpenSource world

yes, agreed. Unfortunately, BitTorrent Sync isn't open source at all!

4. Irongut

And presumable it doesn't open your data up to PRISM. That's not something Dropbox does officially.

5. Steve 13

Comparison to Dropbox is flawed

From what I've read this a p2p solution, there is no 'cloudy' storage vendor involved, it's your own private cloud in essence, where you own,provide and control the storage.

Synology of course already provide an in-built tool that does exactly this, cloud station. But I'll take a closer look at this and see how it compares.

6. N13L5

being p2p, could you back up to a friend's computer and vice versa?

There's that cloud backup software from Crashplan, which also happens to allow backup to your friends' computers, on some designated area of their hard drive, while they could back up some of their stuff to an equal area on your machine...

Just wondering if this would be able to do the same thing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like