back to article Yahoo! gets animated GIF commendation for defending user privacy

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has commended Yahoo! for parrying the federal government's attempts to secretly slurp user data. Yahoo! was awarded a sparkling-star GIF and a commendation by the Electronic Frontier Foundation on Monday for its thankless fight to preserve its users' privacy against secret requests from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. silent_count
    Facepalm

For real?

Giving Google an award for defending user privacy is about as ridiculous as giving the Nobel prize for peace to president Obama.

1. Tumpin

Re: For real?

Haha, I was taking this seriously until I saw Google on the awards list.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Net companies DO try to protect users.

You should take a look a very recent documentary on Vice channel on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfhP2mmmUdU

Net companies DO want to protect your privacy, but they have little financial incentive to do so, if you want a secure service where you are the customer, then its not going to be free.

Simply making a knee jerk statement about giving google an award for defending privacy is exceptionally ill-informed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Surveillance state known as America.'

This is a thought provoking well argued piece on why the DHS should be disbanded. Its a quick read and well worth it.... P.S. Reg Staff please add Bloomberg's Business-Week to your non-filtered valid sources....

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-15/the-case-for-abolishing-the-dhs#r=rss

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When a tree falls in the forest but no one sees it, is that bad PR?

I'd say it was sheer and utter terror.... Yahoo are the one most struggling with defections.... They are the ones most desperate to rebuild. They were terrified of more user fallout IMHO.... No champion! Same goes for Amazon minus the desperation!

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a ruling [..] caused it to hand over data"

So it's an A for effort then ?

Good on Yahoo! (for once), but it really only goes to show that resistence is futile.

That is a sad state of affairs from a country that prides itself on being "the Land of the Free" and the "Home of the Brave".

Sadder still since I am convinced that the American people are not that kind of people. I know quite a few of them, and to the last one they are all nice, kind and caring, not arrogant prying pricks at all.

There is a clear difference between the American people and their government, and now we are just beginning to see the extent of that gulf.

7. Crisp

Lousy Title

I still read it with an exclamation point after every word.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not because of a possible PR benefit

– but because it was the right move for its users and the company,"

spoken truly from the heart. It's heart-warming to see such beacons of true humanity in the highest echelons of.. ehm... etc.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is my wristband?

Speaking as a future drone in the Yahoo empire, they feel to have forgotten their UK staff's wristbands. Perhaps they fear our wrath once we realise our civil liberties have been violated...or perhaps they want to find out if we really do spend all that time down the pub :-)

10. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Devil

Hang on a tick

It was Yahoo! who told me they were slurping ALL of my emails so they could serve me targeted advertising.

11. Wild Bill

Considering their email services are still getting hacked left right and center it doesn't really make much difference.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like