back to article Mobile phone stress stalks quivering nation

That racing pulse and those stabbing pains in your chest may not be the fault of all those fried breakfasts. Mobile phones now cause untold amounts of stress in our daily lives, according to a survey. The Post Office questioned just over 2000 people and found that 53 per cent were often anxious about their mobile phone’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new poll results

100% of people in my latest poll said they had been so stressed by being ripped off by BT, subjected to unilateral changes in their contract as well as being diddled for paying in cash that they decided to, in the words of Ms. D. Harry, rip it off the wall.

that is all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well, at least....

....he got to watch TV in peace.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are inbred...

...strains of lab animal that are so nervous that sudden noise and light will make them suffer fatal coronaries. These lackwits must be some similar human phenomenon. Or maybe they live the lives of soap opera stars where they haven't read the script and don't know whether this week's "drama" will be their granny popping her clogs or their progeny being busted for drugs and arson (despite the fact that neither of these is actually likely).

It's just an excuse.

4. Sceptical Bastard

You wouldn't credit it...

... and these phonetards would wilt under the lack of credit. Jeeze-us-aitch-christ, the Darwin principle in action - humankind is better off without hypertensive heart-diseased mobe addicts. Die, you sad losers, and help us clean up the genepool.

So this bloke shot his wife through the wall? And the police actually believed his cock-and-bull dish story? Unless the plod are unbelievably gullible, he's cleverer than he appears at first reading.

5. Bruce Leyden

What about us socially-avoidant types?

I jump every time the bloody thing rings. My stress levels drop considerably when I'm out of range or am allowed to have it switched off - i.e. all weekend.

Time was (when this was all fields - nineteenticketytwo or thereabouts) you could just pretend not to be at home when the phone rang and didn't have to come up with some lame ego-massaging excuse for not having been arsed to speak to someone.

6. BoldMan
    Stop

Um, silent mode anyone?

if I don't want to be disturbed by the phone (most of the time actually) I turn it to silent mode. At home I've had an answerphone attached for the last 20 years and switched the ringer off in my phone so I only answer the phone when its someone I wish to talk to. (Never had a cold-calling saltestard bother me in all that time as well).

The phone is there as a convenience. It does not HAVE to rule your life. I've never understood why people get stressed when the phone rings - you don't have to answer it, they havn't (yet!) passed a law requiring you to answer the phone...

7. Iain
    Coat

Natural selection

If people are so petty as to get genuine physical damage from stress about their mobile phones then maybe that is nature's way of weeding out the feeble-brained among us.

Mine's the one with the Dawkins book in the pocket

8. Alfie

@ sceptical

Do we require a dictionary corner ruling on the naming of mobetards?

I used to take the mobile off my boss's PA during her lunch hour. I thought it would do her good to go cold turkey for a while.

Personally I like to choose holiday locations on their lack of phone coverage. Anywhere north of Stirling usually works.

9. Spleen

In other news

Rampaging mob of linguists chases double-barrel-named tit down the street for coining the disgusting word 'nomophobia'. Even worse than people who insist on mixing Latin and Greek pre/suffixes in an attempt to sound educated.

10. Bruno Girin
    Joke

@Alfie

On a ship in the middle of the North Sea works wonders too :-) That was a great way to educate my boss and colleagues to the fact that when I am on holidays, I really am on holidays and there's no point trying to get in touch with me.

11. pctechxp

Sad, very Sad

You got to be pretty sad or insecure if you are dependent on being in mobile coverage just in case you get a text or a phone call.

I carry a mobile for one reason, so that if I buy something over the web I can give an alternate contact number to my landline.

I cant be arsed with people.

12. Dick Emery
    Alert

World of stress

Everything these days is geared towards stress. And the scare mongering is not helping what with terrorism, global warming, the economy and general health worries/scares.

We only have ourselves to blame.

I hate mobile phones. I have a pay as you go one but only a few people know the number and I rarely get calls. I still jump though when I do :P

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I was kind of hoping for brain cancer

you get to die and blame a particularly annoying piece of technology what could better.

14. Daniel B.

Fear of "NO SERVICE"

I'd fear having no signal if I'm in the middle of a long road trip, but that would be because if my car breaks down, I won't be able to call emergency services.

That said, unless I'm actually expecting someone to call, I sod off the cellphone. Recently I've found out that I can set up my cellphone on a "redirect all calls to voicemail" mode. Guess what I did on my last vacation.

I would have turned it off, but some people who do need to keep in contact can SMS me or e-mail me (few people have my blackberry addy) so I can still get those while sending everyone else to sod off.

As a funny note, I was merely 15 when my dad gave me my first cellphone. I was sick of it 6 months after, thanks to the hourly "WHERE ARE YOU?" calls my dad made every hour after 5pm.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like