back to article T-Rex tooth find shows dino may have been a pussy

Dino-boffins have found a Tyrannosaurus Rex's tooth embedded in the spine of another dinosaur, a find that confirms the creature was a predator but calls into question just whether it was really as fearsome as has often been imagined. Detailed in a paper titled “Physical evidence of predatory behavior in Tyrannosaurus Rex", …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"T-Rex tooth find shows dino may have been a pussy"

Okay, tough guy. I dare you to call a T-Rex a "pussy" its face. I double-dare you. Oh, not so tough now, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: "T-Rex tooth find shows dino may have been a pussy"

I triple dare you to go find one that's alive to call a pussy.

1. wowfood
        Trollface

Re: "T-Rex tooth find shows dino may have been a pussy"

Just make sure after you call it a pussy you fight it hand to hand, you'll have the advantage. They've only got little arms, no reach.

1. Rogue Jedi

fight it hand to hand They've only got little arms, no reach

those arms may be small for its body size but are still bigger and stronger than human arms, not to mention that they end in claws.

fight a tyranosaur hand to hand and you will loose

2. Esskay

Great white sharks have rows and rows of teeth that routinely fall out/get lodged in prey - I'd hardly call one a pussy though. In the T-Rex's case it could have been the opposite of being a pussy - that scary motherf*cker might have walked around sinking it's teeth into everything that moved (if Jurassic Park is to be believed) regardless of whether it was too big/too small/not really hungry/etc. This one just got lucky/ something else came along/T-Rex got a headache/etc

1. wowfood

Could be a bit like a komodo dragon. Mouth filled with bacteria, bites its prey and dislodges teeth which cause infection and eventually death in the animal.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

No Ko Mo Do

Could be a bit like a komodo dragon. Mouth filled with bacteria, bites its prey and dislodges teeth which cause infection and eventually death in the animal.

Not so much in this case as the bone was starting to heal.

3. xyz Silver badge

forget pussy...

.... whenever I think of a T-rex, I think it looks like a kangaroo and I imagine some sort of skippysaurus bounding about. See, you can't get that vision out of your head now either can you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: forget pussy...

Er, had to maintain that image staring up -- way up -- at the business end of T-Rex skeleton.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Re: forget pussy...

Even a 'roo can do quite a bit of damage if one starts laying into you! Ever seen two of them in a fight?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The problem is T-Rex's tiny little arms!

How are you supposed to keep the Hadrosaur from running away when you can't grab it!

5. Eponymous Cowherd
    Coat

Soft kitty, warm kitty.....

Arrrrrrhggg..........

6. Sealand

In the Words of Qui-Gon Jinn: "There is always a bigger fish ..."

At the London Museum of Natural History they have (or had some years ago) on exhibit the pretrified part of an arm that is the only remains of some critter they believe was rexier than T-Rex.

If that theory holds, I bet that one could eventually have spotted a T-Rex and gone: "Mmm ... lunch!"

7. Muckminded

Tooth Fairy Law

dictates that the reward must be given to the current owner, and may only be conferred to another upon the current owner's consent. Therefore, the unnamed hadrosaur must be awarded the gold dubloon beneath its 65-million year old pillow, as well as a reasonable scattering of pixy dust, at the discretion of the court-appointed hob, yet to be determined.

8. Anomalous Cowshed

there's nothing wrong in calling it a pussy

Pussies kill billions of other animals every year across the world, they can climb trees, turn our women to jelly (and men too, depending on the type of pussy involved), and it is fair to say that the two main types of pussy have almost taken over the entire Internet, which is more than can be said about t-rex or whatever his name is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: there's nothing wrong in calling it a pussy

The pussy(cat) borne parasite toxoplasma gondii affects the human host to make them more appreciative of cats, it's also reported to make humans more promiscuous and slower to react.

Maybe the internet is more accurately described as heavily influenced by a single parasite.

9. Dick Pountain

"...our collective imaginations."

Speak for yourself. My imagination has better things to do than drool over dinosaurs

10. AceRimmer
    FAIL

Spine?

It was lodged in the tail not the spine, even the daily fail got that right

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Spine?

Basic anatomy shows that the spine of a Hadrosaur runs all the way through its tail as well (in line with quite a majority of land-based vertebrates). As the article states the the tooth was lodged in the caudal section of the spine, the article is accurate

11. Armando 123

Seems to me ...

This says more about the toughness of the hadrosaur

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Seems to me ...

How tough is an animal that runs away with a predator tooth stuck in one of the vertebra of their tail?

I bet that T-rex wished that it bit into the tail of a T-skink.

12. apjanes

Hardly...

The fact that prey sometimes got away doesn't make the T-Rex any less fearsome or any less of a killer. Find me a predator today who never has a prey get away. I'd hardly consider a tiger tame because sometimes a lucky deer escapes.

13. 7teven 4ect

(google it to see photo...)

If you're ever feeling grumpy, just imagine a T-Rex making a bed.

There, that's better :)

14. Joe User

T-Rex may have been a pussy?

Let's see you snap off a tooth in the back of a deer and then go on to kill it....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Safety in millennia (No, not that Mall in Orlando)

Nice to be separated from T. Rex by at least some 50MM years (creationists and popular culture notwithstanding).

Not a very clever idea to regard a top predator in depreciatory terms if you are in front of it. Remember it is much larger, much toothier, and much less tame than you are, and it is also quite used to and fully able to eat anything it can catch. A human would be a light snack, nothing more.

If I'm going T. Rex hunting, it will be from inside an Apache helicopter or an Abrams tank. Adequate firepower - don't leave home without it

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Safety in millennia (No, not that Mall in Orlando)

Normal T-Rex hunters these days use a brush, a trowel, a handpick, and a good eye to bag their prey.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

If I were hunting a live T-rex, I'd have no problems doing it on foot. I'd see it coming from a long way off and a .50 cal Barrett is most certainly the great equalizer.

That said, I doubt I'll ever even hear about a live T-rex, let alone find a reason to have to hunt such an impossible thing.

1. Zuagroasta
        Pirate

GAU-8. The REAL great equalizer. Brrrrrrp.

This topic is closed for new posts.