back to article Explicit shots: China's gorgeous flop-tastic Tianhe-2 supercomputer

Some of the feeds and speeds of the Chinese government's Tianhe-2 massively parallel ceepie-phibie supercomputer leaked out in May and then even more came out a week later ahead of the planned big splash at the International Super Computing shindig in Leipzig, Germany. But El Reg has some juicy pics of some of the key components …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my guess...

...is that its a passive backplane with a couple of specialized (ha ha) boards linking them together.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I wonder whether the performance stats and benchmarks on the Xeon Phi are a bit dodgy, too, like those mobile x86-vs-ARM stats of recently?

3. RainForestGuppy

Anybody asked the important question yet?

Will it Blend??

4. Simon Harris

I want to see...

... more flashing lights...

or it's not a real supercomputer!

5. Brainman
    Terminator

How long after switch on before it becomes sentient?

Or alternatively as I have watched the Colossus: The Forbin Project; will it "have a chat" with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum that I have in my loft that I have long thought had aspirations of world domination.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ORAC

Is it me, or does that chassis look like a relative of ORAC?

Wonder if Avon is consulting on the project.

OK, so I'm a brit sci-fi nerd. Saw the picture and had a nerdgasm!

1. Simon Harris

Re: ORAC

Given the preponderence of wobbly sets on Blake's Seven, a rather too-well put-together relative of ORAC!

7. Simon Harris
    Mushroom

What's the Mandarin for ...

... let's play Global Thermonuclear War?

8. Jock in a Frock

But..

...will it run Crysis ?

1. Simon Harris
      Happy

Re: But..

A story about supercomputers goes live around 10am, and the first 'Will it run Crysis?' comment is not til 19.37?

What is the Reg coming to? 9 hours for a Crysis moment?

I despair of commentards' tardiness on the traditional Crysis comment!

9. Anomalous Cowshed

This is the cutting edge of HPC technology today

What's even more amazing, is that our grandchildren will one day see such components preserved in a museum, and will look upon them as wonderful achievements of an age of unbelievably primitive technology aeons away from what they will be using and dealing with, in a very different world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like