back to article One day your data centre will get you to the pub on time

You are an IT manager and it is late Friday afternoon. You are in the lift descending from the fifth floor and you can already hear the gentle buzz of your friendly local bar. But then the lift stops at level three and the director of human resources gets in. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you,” she says.“Can you explain why I’ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. garetht t

Just my two pence

First of all, kudos to anyone who made it through the article. My eyes kept skittering off the page from things like the HR Manager asking "Can you explain why I’m paying so much for my IT?” (because that ever happens in real life) to tortuous quotes such as:

"The key requirement for a service-centric approach to delivering IT is to define the services required by the various business groups and functions and their value to these groups and functions,” [...] “These services should then be delivered to the associated users – business application owners and groups, end-users and consumers, or other IT staff.”

I see there are words written there, but I struggle to find meaning in them. 'Service-centric' IT, by all accounts, means delivering IT to users. This supposedly contrasts with 'Kitten-centric' IT which revolves around throwing mewling cats at users until they go away? Or is all IT about delivering IT to users?

"IT has to become a service-centric culture." IT has always been this. In The Beginning, God didn't create an email server - first of all there were users wondering how they could send amusing powerpoints to each other, then came the email server. IT by definition is a service. There's little point hosting a website if nobody's intended to view the bloody thing.

Beyond stating that our mythical HR head should, should she ever suffer a severe head trauma rendering her unable to ever feel joy, be able to pull up an ever-dynamic list of why she is "paying so much for IT", I've no idea what the point of this article is. Rambling and at every turn using a Mayfair word where an Old Kent Road one would do, it feels like something autogenerated by a robot, or a someone wishing to merely fulfill a quota.

"A truly sophisticated cloud architecture extends to the team, helping them to understand how they benefit each other in the delivery of IT services."

By the end of the article "the team" has long since departed for the pub, leaving the manager to continue his badly-covered-up affair with the head of HR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just my two pence

"Beyond stating that our mythical HR head should, should she ever suffer a severe head trauma rendering her unable to ever feel joy," .... our mythical HR head is an HR head - not a job routinely associated with joy at the best of times?

"By the end of the article "the team" has long since departed for the pub, leaving the manager to continue his badly-covered-up affair with the head of HR." Quick, report them to the HR department for .. oh, wait ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like