back to article Click here for hot live SPEARS test action

As we speak, the the Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) team is in Brightwalton in Berkshire preparing to dispatch the Special Project Electronic Altitude Release System (SPEARS) control board to the stratosphere. If all goes according to plan, SPEARS will trigger the custom igniter designed to fire our Vulture 2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice

Here's hoping everything works well.

Does it have a radiation monitor?

AC/DC 6EQUJ5

2. Mr Young
    Happy

Hot live action?

Disgusting! And I hope it all went well;

3. MondoMan

Illicit cloning in 20th century UK?

Anyone else notice that gents Anthony Stirk, Paul Shackleton, and Neil Barnes all look like clones of each other?

Hope the flight test went well.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: Illicit cloning in 20th century UK?

Damnit.

Now we'll, er, I'll have to hunt you down and kill you!

4. Florida1920
    Pint

Wow

The contrails start appearing in CHAV 42, and then LOHAN rises above them. Brilliant work, folks.

5. C. P. Cosgrove
    Pint

Congratulations !

Congratulations on what appears to have been a very successful flight.

Due to the timely reminder yesterday I watched it in real time and you almost managed to complete the mission before coverage of Le Tour began. One eye on a TV, the other on the computer screen. I will raise a glass to your success and my thirst !

Chris Cosgrove

6. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Cheers! Well done.

Pity I missed the live show but the time zone is just another handicap that comes with living in California.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Damn & Blast

I missed it!

Woe is me, sackcloth and ashes.

Will any vids be put up? Please, pretty please.

8. Pet Peeve

the CHAV packet radio photos are a major addition to the mission - please have this working for the big event! It was really fun watching the images come in, and to see you guys show up at the "landing" (treeing?) site after not very long.

Lots more details, please! This looked like a fun morning out.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Fret ye not, full details will be provided in due course.

9. wilber
    Pint

Good show!

Congrats on what appeared to be a successful test.

I keep checking for your rundown and analysis, knowing full well that it will take time to compile all of the data and photos to present a great recap of the day.

Although, I watched I don't believe we were made privy to 'did the launch system work.

This pint's for the team.

10. Anonymous Custard

OK, so the test looked good, and LOHAN/SPEARS is on the money to do great things on proper launch day?

So what next, the el Reg cubesat project? An airplane launched into "deep space"?

If so, baggsy calling it ELTON ;)

11. Peter Simpson 1

I can't help but notice

The team seems to be growing.

You're going to need uniforms. Nothing says "professional" like uniforms. Remember how sharp the Mars rover team looked in their control centre in their blue golf shirts? Of course, for the SPB, they'd need to be red.

Oh, and well done. Very well done.

//extra points for dry land :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.