back to article Forecast cloudy as Office 365 pushes into 38 new markets

Microsoft has reached a milestone in its ongoing efforts to make personal productivity a cloudy caper, by switching on Office 365 available to users in 38 new markets and three new languages including Vietnamese and Malay. Asian and African countries featured heavily on the list of newly Office-in-the-cloud-equipped markets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

it's a social experiment.

Redmond want to find out if they can fool all of the people, all of the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it's a social experiment.

Not everyone wants to use the cloud or rent software, yet it is becoming more prevalent day after day.

And just who is this supposed to benefit?

Not the consumer.

I want to have standalone products, not have to rely on an Internet connection, and if I like a piece of software and don't want to upgrade it I don't want to be forced into changing it.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Big Brother

The likes of Adobe, MS and others will not even hear your perfectly logical argument.

They have their head in the 'clouds' and will go 'Na-na-na-na-na can't hear you'.

As far as they are concerned :-

Everyone is online all the time and tough to those who aren't.

Besides their NSA overlords are demanding to know what we are doing on OUR computers 24/7 no matter where we are in the world.

It won't be long before MS releases a version of Windows that only runs for more than 5 mins unless it can 'Phone Home and get a license to operate'. It won't take much to tie that into a DB of who is allowed to even use a computer. Not on the list and said computer bricks itself.

BB naturally.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It won't be long before MS releases a version of Windows that only runs for more than 5 mins unless it can 'Phone Home and get a license to operate'"

Windows already does do that since Windows 7 with KMS licensing, and it needs to "phone home" every 180 days once activated....

2. Gil Grissum
          Thumb Down

If MS wants to push everyone into Apple and Linux's arms, then they can do that. Switching to Mac is no big deal for me. I've already got a Macbook Pro running Office 2011 and I refuse to subscribe to Office 365 if it requires an internet connection to work on a stand alone computer. MS may be able to fool Enterprise customers with this subscription nonsense but not consumers. I refuse to do it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Office 365 already hit a billion in revenue, and is outselling Google Apps by 3:1 and climbing, so it's looking good for Office 365....

" want to have standalone products, not have to rely on an Internet connection, and if I like a piece of software and don't want to upgrade it I don't want to be forced into changing it."

You need Office 365 then. You get a license for a physical install on up to 5 devices. And the Microsoft streaming installer is amazingly fast. Try the Office 2013 free evaluation to see what I mean...

1. hplasm
          Gimp

Re: the Microsoft steaming (pile of) installer

How did you get past AdBlocker?

3. Euripides Pants
        Joke

"I want to have standalone products, not have to rely on an Internet connection, and if I like a piece of software and don't want to upgrade it I don't want to be forced into changing it."

You, sir, are a Kink in the Hose of Progress!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like