back to article Dev bakes actual, edible raspberry pie with Raspberry Pi

A New Zealand developer named Nathan Broadbent has baked a raspberry pie using a Raspberry Pi. Broadbent decided to do so after spotting a thread on Reddit that suggested “Food items should have QR codes that instruct the microwave exactly what to do. Like high for 2 minutes, let stand 1 minute, medium 1 minutes.” The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

You can't bake a proper pie in a microwave.

EOF

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: You can't bake a proper pie in a microwave.

Wait. Did that pie come with khool whhip?

2. James Hughes 1

Once again Jake, you show your inability to think.

This isn't about the pie, it's about the Pi.

1. Kubla Cant

Once again, James, you show your inability to recognise a joke.

2. frank ly

The oven has its own Twitter feed!?

When 'the internet of things' is fully upon us, NSA/GCHQ/etc will be overwhelmed with data traffic for storage and analysis.

1. Denarius
      Happy

Re: The oven has its own Twitter feed!?

do you see the oportunity there ? How to hide a tree. In forest of course.

2. Euripides Pants
      Thumb Up

Re: The oven has its own Twitter feed!?

"NSA/GCHQ/etc will be overwhelmed with data traffic for storage and analysis."

Never thought I'd see a good use for the internet of things.

3. Denarius
    Thumb Up

its a great pun

delightful pun in task and hardware. Actually, good idea, well done, except for pie one hopes I'll get my coat, it's the one with egg down front

4. Nick Kew
    Coat

Unseasonal!

That's ridiculous! It's winter in NZ, and raspberries are firmly out of season.

5. Michael C.

Next in series

Man eats apple.

6. TRT Silver badge

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

7. I can see my house from up here on the cloud
    Thumb Up

Everybody loves Pi ... even raspberry ones

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that?...

... the Windows 95 start-up sound?!!?!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oops...

... 98 .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tajDxBaPBBM

10. AbortRetryFail

Not a new concept

I have a Samsung microwave that is several years old and that has an optical scanner for scanning exactly these kind of QR codes. The idea was all microwavable food would eventually sport these codes.

Sadly the idea never caught on though, which was a pity as it was quite cool for the brief time that a small number of items did carry the codes.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Not a new concept

Well surely then your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to build the interface between your code reader and his food database......

n'est pas?

11. BeerTokens
    Pint

As no one else has said it yet...

That is some pretty kick ass tinkering!

Have a pint!

12. Tom 38

I don't really see the point of this

Most things that need to be microwaved for distinct periods need something happening at the end of those periods, something the microwave can't do itself - eg stir, add water etc, so you need to be involved throughout anyway

From the video, it looked like the multi part timing didn't even work anyway, he programmed in 180 seconds, it stopped after 158.

1. TRT Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: I don't really see the point of this

And the fact that it starts automagically without checking if there's anything actually IN the cavity... I mean, who wouldn't, with this level of convenience, scan the barcode without reading the instructions before putting the thing in the oven, just to see how long it's going to take to cook. Never underestimate the laziness of people.

"Ooh! I fancy lasagne ping tonight, but I need to eat in the next 30 minutes or I'm not going to have time to shower before my big date... How long does this... *click* *scan* BOOM†."

†OK, microwaves don't go BOOM if you start them empty... more kind of fizz, pop, whirr, grind, fizz.

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

That's not the pie you are looking for...

...it's a tart! Pies have top crusts. Tarts don't.

Good on him for tnkering though. Garden shed boffinry at it's second best.

(best is Reg SPB, everything else can only ever come 2nd)

14. Michael Habel

Yo Dawg I heard you liked Raspberry Pi so we baked ya a Raspberry Pie with the Raspberry Pi so you can Raspberry Pi while you Raspberry Pie!

15. Michael Habel

Microwave send my Data to the NSA and GCHQ.... OK!!

Oh no wait thats something that only the XBONE Kinect would do....

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. I don't really see the point of this

Its certainly a neat hack, the chemistry synthesis labs will like it.

MWs have other uses than just nuking day old pizza and heating ready meals, besides which there are about

a million of them in every WEEE "bin" owned by councils.

I've fixed them before, its really not that haKZEERRRT (thud) #include "DangerDangerHighvoltage.mp3"

Some of the time its just the HV fuse or magnetron which goes from old age, I've changed these but a more common fault is duff keypads and burns on the mainboard, etc.

This is particularly annoying with inbuilt ones as the replacement MW is often 5* as expen$ive as a generic el cheapo MW.

If you do have a particularly nice one which needs a new mag, it is possible to locate one from CPC and they do ship but be very careful when replacing them as leakage is highly likely if done wrong.

A good way to tell a bad mag is to look for cracked magnets, if seen then it is deader than dead.

Also worth checking is the end cap, usually if burned then it is toast.

Source:- Sam's RepairFAQ at repairfaq.org

AC/DC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like