back to article Unisys doubles up midrange mainframes for fault tolerance

If you are "truly paranoid" about system uptime and are running the MCP operating system on a Burroughs-class, midrange-sized mainframe from Unisys, then the system maker has a new Libra 4200 that has your name on it. Last fall, Unisys refreshed its ClearPath mainframes with Intel's Xeon E5 processors, and is getting closer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kiralexi

lolwat

"An efficient x86 emulator could move workloads onto Power iron, and that was the idea behind the QuickTransit buy, supposedly, but Big Blue has not really done much with it."

Except... uh... exactly what you're suggesting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVM_Lx86

2. Denarius
    Paris Hilton

HPUX on X86

was snuck past PHBs, then spotted and killed, just as it got bootable. It seems fiefdoms do not want any internal threat to itanic yet. HPUX has a nice Aries PA-RISC emulator for customers who do not want to risk moving legacy critical code. HP problem is that their old gear was so well built. World is running out of old disks though and RAM sticks do eventually "rot". Single bit error correction can only do so much. Orakles recent downtalking on Itanic future was predicated on HPUX eventually going to Intel chips methinks. HP probably will, but at a time of their own choosing. About 2 more downsizings I suggest, when panic is really setting in at the CEO/board level. I am sure they have a process for that too.

Pity they did not kill Meced/Itanic earlier and go with Intel. Intel Chips at time were not as good, but it might have given HPUX a bit more time. Better yet, drop HPUX for Linux and kept OpenVMS alive.

Now ARM chippery is beginning to open up more options as low power (electricity) massively parallel computing is becoming routine and affordable. So where do they dinosaur OS go now ?

I miss Paris stories. The deep space nine clones Cardashians shurely just dont cut it.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: HPUX on X86

" It seems fiefdoms do not want any internal threat to itanic yet. "

I saw what you did there.

It's funny how monopoly suppliers decide to launch something that does not support their monopoly product (the x86 architecture) at their monopoly priced product level they always look surprised that no one wants to touch it even with the aid of a long stick.

They always confuse tolerance with love of product.

Unisys OTOH seem to have done a bang up job of gradual migration from their CMOS engines to a commodity product. The irony that they have no special access to the intel architecture (unlike the Itanium developers) but have made a go of it is especially impressive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Close...

"Pity they did not kill Meced/Itanic earlier and go with Intel. Intel Chips at time were not as good, but it might have given HPUX a bit more time. Better yet, drop HPUX for Linux and kept OpenVMS alive."

Itanium IS an Intel chip. They went with an Intel chip, which is why they're screwed at the moment. What they should've done was continue to develop PA-RISC or Alpha, both of which were superior to Itanium at the time. Stop using "intel chip" and "x86" interchangeably, they are in no way the same thing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Efficient emulation (using JIT) is how Fujitsu deliver VME (mainframe OS) - and have been doing so sucessfully for >10years

If I remember correctly Intel had an x86 emulator (using JIT) for the Itanium....wonder what happened to that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like