back to article Seoul-blackening disk wipe badness linked to 4-year SPY CAMPAIGN

The March attack that hit tens of thousands of computers in South Korea was part of a much larger campaign waged against the Asian nation since at least 2009. That's according to a new report by security biz McAfee. About 30,000 PCs in banks, insurance companies and TV stations were knackered a few months ago on 20 March in an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

What do they expect...?

What the fuck do those Nork assholes expect? Do they think that South Korea is going to simply fall apart if they can make online banking sufficiently difficult? Whatever they might think - and who the fuck knows what they are "thinking" - it comes across as a tedious and petty waste of time and energy.

1. blarpman
      WTF?

Re: What do they expect...?

What a completely ridiculous comment. Just because you don't understand the reasoning behind such an attack doesn't make it a waste of time or energy.

Personally, I would pull this sort of attack if I was either obtaining specific information and wanted to cover the tracks, or to create one hell of a diversion away from what I was really doing.

2. smudge
      Facepalm

Ah yes - dismissing your enemies as fools.

What a winning strategy that has been down through the ages.

3. NogginTheNog
      Big Brother

"it comes across as a tedious and petty waste of time and energy."

And since when has being petty and tedious ever bothered egomanic dictatorships?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So who pressed the "DESTROY EVERYTHING" panic button and is now hanging out in the barbed-wire-in-the-wilderness-decorated Club Nork?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shurely shome mishtake ...

why blame north Korea ? much more likely to be NSA, surely .... (j/k)

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: Shurely shome mishtake ...

Or even Japan. Korea and Japan are not exactly best buddies.

There again, don't forget the Gnomes of Zurich.

4. Glenn Charles
    Flame

One Question Here

This is the guy on that video right? Or is it the company that he talks about, that he founded, that has the software almost impossible to uninstall? (Actually it's not, but there is an advertising icon that's to my knowledge indestructible.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like