back to article Techs copping it from competition regulator

Group buying schemes are among the fastest-growing source of consumer complaints, according to Australia's national consumer regulator the ACCC, and it's started rolling its machinery to get them to clean up their act. Scoopon, which was last year among a number of coupon outfits the watchdog warned about their business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. silent_count

Long live the ACCC!

Some 270 words from HP when 10 would have sufficed, "We're sorry. We f***ed up. We'll do better in future."

Would it really kill them to manage some kind of apology instead of contriving to make their statement about how wonderful they perceive themselves to be and that any wrongdoing on their part was merely the result of some unforeseeable fluctuation in the time-space continuum?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Long live the ACCC!

If you say 'sorry we fucked up' then you're admitting liability. That can be expensive. No General Counsel worth his or her salt would approve something as unambiguous as that.

1. silent_count

Re: Long live the ACCC!

I'll concede that you're right about their council's advice but settling with the ACCC and the remedies imposed by supreme court are an unambiguous indication that HP, in common parlance, fucked up. Trying to spin it as otherwise comes across, to me at least, as incredibly childish.

2. DavidRa

Voluntarily submits to the courts!?

I liked this piece the best:

"Through discussions with the ACCC with a view to resolving the legal proceedings brought against HP, HP has voluntarily consented to Federal Court orders."

Voluntarily consented? Ah yes, the big international company (which IIRC has 10K staff in Aus) doesn't HAVE to comply with the Federal Court, it's just the easy way out this time.

IMO, the whole "apology" (like most, it's fair to say) is just another generic, self-serving, half-hearted, condescending, steaming pile of ... er ... codswallop, from a company who most certainly doesn't give two bits about anyone, or anything, other than screwing anyone and everyone it thinks it can while still getting away with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like