back to article HP techies reject latest pay offer, closer to industrial action

Unionised engineers at HP Customer Delivery Services - which provides support for customers including Barclays, BT and Tesco - have moved a step closer to industrial action after rejecting its latest pay offer. HPCDS is a wholly owned subsidiary of the company and effectively came about through the acquisition of third-party …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A union doing what it should be doing...

Nice to see that at least one part of Unite still remembers it's role as a voice/bargaining tool for workers rather than trying to shoe-horn it's own people in to government...

1. NeilMc

Re: A union doing what it should be doing...

Unite, yeah vote rigging and unionised pay deals that seem out of touch with reality. Way to go!!!

Just read how Unites people at DHL who are a subbie to JLR are about to call a strike as they try to secure pay deals for various closed shop staff types of 20% and 13% over the next 2 years.

Reality check anyone at Unite?

Are they really trying to kill what little business growth the UK economy has?

2. tim99uk

Re: A union doing what it should be doing...

I was a member of unite for about 2 years as i had worries on what my company ( Sophos ) was doing with pay rises and other issues, the net result was that they were great at taking the money but when i needed them i could never get my rep on the phone and they said that they cant do much more as there were only 3 other union members at Sophos abingdon! I gave up with them and cancelled my membership...they still send me lots of junk mail...no change there!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They'd better watch out

Or HP will outsource them to Crapita.

3. hardlife

Must be terrible having to take all the extra cash in overtime just to get by. You want to try a real job, what's overtime, most have to get on with it and be grateful they have a job. That will be the next thing to go if they are not careful then what will happen. I see them turn up in their flash cars guess they cost a lot to run.

1. Jon Doe

An ill informed and untrue comment

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hard life...

@hardlife: Terrible isn't it, let's bring everyone down to your level instead. Or, you could try joining a union and improving your conditions to match. Which outcome sounds better??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hardlife..... you sound like HPCDS management.........

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try working for the public sector where I have had a pay freeze for 3 years, but have recieved an incremental increase related to performance equating to less than 1% per year, combuned with forthcoming (further) budget / staff cuts, it's real fun. No overtime either, just time in lieu if I'm lucky.

There are no golden pensions either, do not believe the press.

So stop your whining.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

> pay freeze for 3 years

Be lucky that there is no "austerity". Managing to keep pay at bubble levels is actually amazing.

> performance

May I ask how it is measured?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pay is well below market / private sector levels, made the change to public from private sector after redundancy, not by choice.

The austerity was the 20% headcount cull, waiting for the next round as I am the last man in.

Performance is measured by annual appraisal against objectives set at the start of the year.

Any more questions?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: AC

"....The austerity was the 20% headcount cull, waiting for the next round as I am the last man in....." Best of luck, hope you make it through.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wildhearts fan?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

3 years is that all LOL - try one pay rise since 2000 with HP/HPCDS

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I share your...

...pain. I'm in HP (not HPCDS) and had 3.6% in pay increases over the past 11 years. My performance reviews have always rated me as exceeding requirements but a lot of fcuking use that has been to me. At the same time benefits have erroded almost to nothing and pension accrual rates have been relentlessly cut and contribution levels increased.

To the AC idiot above in the public sector - get your facts straight before you spout off. We in HP do not get regular performance increments like you - no matter how well we perform, 95% of HP staffers do not get paid any overtime OR time off in lieu, our pension arrangements are more crap than yours.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I share your...

Re: To the AC idiot above in the public sector - get your facts straight before you spout off. We in HP do not get regular performance increments like you - no matter how well we perform, 95% of HP staffers do not get paid any overtime OR time off in lieu, our pension arrangements are more crap than yours.

I would recommend getting a job in a less crap place then, rather than been so bitter.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

"Industrial action" announced

Will HP bods actually do their job?

7. hardlife
    Big Brother

If we weren't in a recession where the country seems to be falling apart I could understand this action, but in these current times just doesn't make any sense to me. Its not just HP how would you bring all those other companies up in line. Everyone has driven all this cost cutting wanting everything cheaper feels a vicious circle to me we can't get off.

8. Spook

The mind boggles why people bend over and take this crap. Grow a pair and walk. If you have the right skills there's a market for you elsewhere.

9. xerocred

Quit moaning, it could be worse, you could be in telecoms.

Where if you still have a job it is massively de-skill and lower pay than 10 years ago.

10. alderley

So a 1% increase is now a "hike"? This is obviously a definition of the word that I am not familiar with.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like