back to article I'm 'pretty comfy' with PRISM + 'It's Google. What else do you expect'

This was the week when the Snowden saga took a few major plot twists, with one president's plane grounded while another president claimed the whole PRISM-snooping thing was for the best. Poor Bolivian president Evo Morales had his plane pulled out of the sky after expressing some sympathy for NSA-leaker Edward Snowden's asylum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

The forcing down of the Bolivian ministers jet is especially concerning.

Moving Coke by the kilo. No action.

Move a human being whose only crime is against another country and only in that country and Europe wide efforts are made to bring it down.

Looks like the real war governments have been fighting are against the twin evils of democracy and transparency

1. Tim Roberts 1
      FAIL

Re: The forcing down of the Bolivian ministers jet is especially concerning.

Agreed,

I'll wager that the US had a heavy hand in this, and my response is "Fuck You, USA". And for whoever in the various involved countries allowed this to happen, I'd suggest that there may well be an offshore bank account with a few extra dollars in it.

I hope that Bolivia does offer asylum just to shove it up the holier-than-thou fuckers. This stunt may have works decades ago but now the whole world knows within hours (minutes even).

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

I keep getting this image in my mind from proper Star Wars - Leia's ship has been boarded by Darth Vader and Leia lays into the Dark Lord....

"This is a consular ship on a diplomatic mission...."

Austrian Storm troopers...?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Thumb Down

That's probably not the best analogy, given that Leia was lying. Her ship actually was on a spy mission and had the Death Star plans to prove it.

1. Lamont Cranston

These Star Wars analogies are all very amusing, but we won't be laughing when Grand Moff Hagel obliterates a small South American nation to prove a point.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons
          Thumb Up

'That's probably not the best analogy'

Agreed. Not to mention (and no disrespect to El Presidente) Evo Morales isn't as attractive as Leia was...

2. teebie

"Austrian storm troopers"

Didn't they already try something like this?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still...

Not a bad name for a band, the Objective Historians. I knew Bush was a retard while in office, but I guess the reason why we haven't heard much from him since he left is because of his deteriorated mental faculties. Maybe he and Clint Eastwood and Steve Ballmer should do a quartet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still...

...three's a trio not a quartet.

1. Rukario

Re: Still...

> ...three's a trio not a quartet.

Ballmer counts as 2.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you're gonna name a crater after any fictional spaceship captain, ...

... it should surely be Zapp Brannigan.

"You win again, gravity!"

4. Tchou
    Devil

So... European countries are NOT spying on US activities?

That seems unlikely to me.

1. Sparkypatrick
      Paris Hilton

Re: So... European countries are NOT spying on US activities?

In the unlikely event that we aren't already, we should get started. The US has always put its own interests first (who doesn't?) and we would be fools to trust them just because we are currently allies.

We can start with spying on Paris. Any volunteers?

1. Tchou

Start spying on the US with spying on French?

Why not going straight to the point and spy on Washington?

1. Captain DaFt

" Why not going straight to the point and spy on Washington? "

Spying on him won't do any good, he's dead.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he still here?

Glad they rolled Bush jnr. out to justify the prism thing, I feel so much better now and believe totally it was done with integrity and the best of intentions.

My wikipedia entry for “Sarcasm”

6. Shaun 2

Hidden Mike?

Do you mean hidden mic, or was a bloke called Michael hiding in the embassy?

1. Michael 47

Re: Hidden Mike?

Yeah, sorry about that. I farted and they heard. I was so busted ;-)

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I think it was an American politician who closed down their WW1 naval code breaking office

with the words

"Gentlemen do not read each others mail."

They've come a long way from that position.

Note that he was talking about diplomatic traffic between countries, not all traffic, on all media, between everyone.

No doubt a conslutants report would argue against this.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hey, hey !

Bring on the conslutants ! I can't wait to see their pole presentations.

8. Dennis Wilson
    Unhappy

Gangsters

The US are becoming more like the Kray twins every day...........

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Gangsters

What you mean like "Ronnie" Reagan and "Reggie" Obama........

The differennce being that the Kray twins were publically known as professional criminals whereas the aformentioned presidents are just amateurs....

9. BingoLittle
    Joke

Song

I recently heard a song about data privacy which is slightly amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRx4fkghzU

10. Amorous Cowherder

Anyone else started singing Mr Gabriel's classic "Games Without Frontiers" yet?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Liar liar, pants on fire.

Georgie boy sez "One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed."

Really? I'd argue otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like