back to article Twitter to let ad pals TRACK COOKIES on micro-blogging site

Twitter needs to make more money from advertising - to do that it has decided to follow the lead of other free content social media networks by targeting its users' cookies to create tracking profiles for its ad partners. The privately-held micro-blogging site said in a blog post that it would, for now, be displaying promoted …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Camilla Smythe
    Stop

New?

"Let Others Find Me Via E-Mail" checkbox, enabled by default as well.

That's a bit crap.

2. spaceyjase

Fixed

http://fixtracking.com/

'nuff said really. Although I can appreciate how a company wants to turn a profit, I don't appreciate how my personal habits may be leaked to an entity I have limited control over.

1. Aoyagi Aichou
      Thumb Up

Re: Fixed

Interesting. Any idea what's the difference between Disconnect and Ghostrery? (except for the fact that the former doesn't work on Opera 12, asks for 15)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A site dedicated to anti-privacy is tracking you? Inconceivable!

All these social media sites are dedicated to the antithesis of privacy - they exist to allow people to publish any random thing they choose to publish.

And it surprises people that such sites invade your privacy with tracking cookies, and allow others to do the same.

Folks: If you aren't writing a check for a service, you are not the customer, you are the product, and the service makes money selling you to its real customers.

1. h3

Re: A site dedicated to anti-privacy is tracking you? Inconceivable!

You are still the product when it comes to Cable TV. Just paying for something doesn't really change anything. (Maybe if you use a blackberry unless they have changed recently).

2. Camilla Smythe

@DDH A site dedicated to anti-privacy is tracking you? Inconceivable!

"All these social media sites are dedicated to the antithesis of privacy - they exist to allow people to publish any random thing they choose to publish.

[OK Ladz stage one complete. Dirty bomb in broom cupboard HoP]

[Brill FLOTUS Fanny Probe rechargeables replaced with Apple returns]

[Confirm same for Anal Probe CAMER1-E]

[Victor Kiam has bought the nose of POTUS. Scrambled eggs are on the menu]

-

-

[You do kno the Mercaptans will be confused by Fanny?]

[So they will look in the wrong hole. How's D'Day?]

[How's HRAP?]

[She's a bitch]

[No, the 'Big Bird' place]

[I'll boot up the SUV]

And it surprises people that such sites invade your privacy with tracking cookies, and allow others to do the same.

Folks: If you aren't writing a check for a service, you are not the customer, you are the product, and the service makes money selling you to its real customers."

.... Thank you for those words of wisdom. Gosh you know quite a lot about this lark. You must be one of those commentards on El Reg and/or work in the industry. I hear they challenge FaceBook and Twitter in respect of their subscribed user base. Mr Ballmer said so...

Not being 'au fait' I only read about it today when I came across the site whilst doing research on 'Female Tree hugging in private, how to share with more than two Trees'.

I am telling you this I was pretty bloody annoyed to discover Twitter had done this without telling me in the first place. I was forced to do some research elsewhere and it appears that these people regularly change what they said without asking first. Apparently it is rife.. Twitter, FaceBook, Phorm, Politicians GCHQ, NSA, ETC...

One common factor appears to be that they promise something in order to gain a user base and then do something entirely different without mentioning it and then someone else has to find out and tell the rest of us. It even seems some of them are prone to 'throwing their toys out of the pram', or saying 'it improves the browsing experience' when this happens.

Now then as a Big Bottomed Scato SadoDom, Rubber For Extra™, I've got a theory about this. You see.. if I just slapped my wobbling cheeks either side of any and everyone's face and gave them an oral injection of Solyent Brown creaminess they might complain and I could be prosecuted...

I am making a basic assumption that the ICO or the 'cough cough cough', regular clients, are not in charge of the legislation that would be involved in which case I would not . Do not forget I just deliver.

Fortunately I ask first or someone requests my services in advance, 0779xxxxxxxx [Bitch Edit], and in either case there is much one to one discussion involved before we move forward. Having selected your 'safe' word, clients usually settle on Banana, we move forward to, my, Curry & Batemans prior to the Hotel Room....

You might wish to compare and contrast...

Twitter, et al, shits first and gets found out later.

I discuss it with the client first and select the Restaurant and Hotel. The client does not say 'Banana' and does not end up in the next client.

Oh good.. new install of Linux is ready. Click.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah ETC,

-

-

Ooooo I just Pooed myself

4. Code Monkey
    Mushroom

If this is the start of some Facebook-style privacy snafu I will ragequit.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Must try harder

Current EU law requires sites to obtain a visitor's consent before they install a cookie in their browser

There is no single EU law on this - it is devolved to national governments so not really the Commission's problem.

Explicit consent is only required for non-essential cookies for which there is no fixed definition. Among essential cookies can be considered to be session cookies and shopping basket cookies, user preferences, etc. Statistic cookies are probably debatable depending on how they are configured: lifetime and data contained. Problematic are all the third-party cookies. However, as El Reg should but apparently doesn't know: agreement can easily obtained through a sign-up form. As long as Twitter's users are logged in then they have agreed to Twitter's T&C's, as indeed we commentards have to El Reg's, which presumably include the right to trade personal data with third parties. The stupid banner at the bottom of El Reg does not comply with the law as it "we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway." can in no way be construed to be someone providing explicit consent.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Must try harder

The stupid banner at the bottom of El Reg does not comply with the law as it "we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway." can in no way be construed to be someone providing explicit consent.

Presumably you missed the 11th hour turn around by the ICO who decided that it was acceptable, leaving everyone worse off because there's pointless banners everywhere now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

better ads, lol

they meant to say: "ads that target you better, yes, you Smith!"

1. Rukario
      Big Brother

Re: better ads, lol

You mean "6079 Smith W! Yes you!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like