back to article Innovative solution to modern art found: Shoot it into space

The European Space Agency says it is seriously considering a plan which involves firing a piece of modern art made from a melted-down meteorite back into space. The piece of modern art in question is titled "Campo del Cielo, Field of the Sky". It is to be exhibited this summer at the Turner Contemporary gallery in the Kent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> The exhibit was produced by taking a meteorite, making a mould of its shape, then melting the multibillion-year-old space rock down and pouring it into the mould to create a replica of itself, made of itself.

WHY!

You just hermeneutically transform an original, raw originary meteorite into an Ersatz piece which exhibits no longer the proto-natural crystallographic structure of its long gestation but instead expresses its human origin through the feministically inspired retravail of the roundish, but pitted form.

It is pointless.

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Credit to the artist though, for finding a way to sell a lump of rock, presumably for a fair amount of cash.

1. Ru
        Paris Hilton

Credit to the artist though, for finding a way to sell a lump of rock, presumably for a fair amount of cash

Metallic meteorites are easily sold for quite reasonable slabs of money, on account of the "Widmanstätten" patterns that form in molten metal cooled slowly in zero-g looking rather pretty.

Melting the original destroys these, leaving a fairly boring chunk of nickel iron behind. I'm sure there's an artistic statement in that somewhere, but I don't see any value in it.

1. frank ly

@Ru

She's creating (artistic) wealth by destroying (materialistic) wealth. Can't you see the beauty of transmutation there?

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      WTF?

And yet, and yet...

People seem to think that money spent on space activities is wasted.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Making a replica from itself?

Could have saved time and money pretending he made a replica, or did he?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I will get one of my first of the morning turds, remold and reshape it, into a turd and fire it into space.

That will give the aliens something to think about.

However, not this morning I need to get rid of my vindaloo and beer first.

1. Bill Fresher

"I will get one of my first of the morning turds, remold and reshape it, into a turd and fire it into space."

The meteorite came from space and the intention is to send it back into space.

To achieve the same with your turd you would need to reform it and shoot it back up your rear.

5. John Sager

Nice bit of Derrida-esque buzzword bingo there. ESA should call bullshit, but sadly they won't as the cost of a kg or so into LEO is cheaper for them than the flak they would otherwise get:(

6. Norman Hartnell
      Unhappy

@Destroy All Monsters "It is pointless."

Welcome to modern art.

2. DN4

The quickest way to get ahead in the art world is to appear insane

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3023#comic

3. Anomalous Cowshed

New artist takes modern art to a new level

The scattering of scatological references in museums as a means of demonstrating the superiority of art versus life, and the triumph of the artist's vision over the limited intellect of the museum goer, has reached endemic proportions and poses the very question which it was designed to answer: what is art? By transmuting existing artworks using the medium of chemically induced oxidation reactions*, the artist expresses the universal constancy of life and the biblical meme "ashes to ashes", which, whether it occurs over a period of thousands of years or thousands of seconds, still constitute an expression of art in the face of a credo imposed by the establishment.

* By burning them

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: New artist takes modern art to a new level

Why can't I upvote this?

Why is the new interface such a mess?

Did you LOOK at the text and box diarrhea when posting a new comment, El Reg? It's like a Mondrian paiting with less colour and more random text and exhortations.

Get Dominique Connor on the case!

1. Petalium

It is art, a comment on the futility to get any work done in the post production era of industrialization.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"By transmuting existing artworks using the medium of chemically induced oxidation reactions*, "

But sadly not original. The Momart warehouse fire destroyed a good part of "I don't beat my wife" Saatchi's art collection back in 2004. Pity he wasn't inside at the time, although as a solution to modern art it certainly makes sense to burn the tat.

I suppose in the world of art, copying Momart would be "inspirational" and "self referential", rather than "derivative".

4. Esskay

""The iron, metal and dust inside have been reformed, and the layers of its cosmic lifespan – the intermixing of space and time, the billions of years of pressure and change – have become collapsed, transformed and then, by the hand of human technology, renewed,” explains artist Katie Paterson, the brains behind this idea"

What a massive wank. Pretty sure most stoners have come up with more creative things to do whilst face down in their own vomit.

“These are important questions, and space exploration together with art are helping us answer them.”

“These are important questions, and space exploration is helping us answer them.”

fixed.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" artist Katie Paterson, the brains behind this idea"

That's where you needs to have your brains to think up an idea like this.

I just lurve the new comments look here on The Register. It's so hip Windows 8 derivative darling.

6. Chris G

The art is not in the art

I have been involved at the fringes of the art world a little in the last few years having helped to set up one or two exhibitions and attending some major events.

Something I have noticed is that every artist has a paragraph on their cards or pamphlets that describes their message or the raison d'etre behind their art; the more convoluted and unintelligible this bollocks is, the more seriously they seem to be taken.

I think an artist could produce the most incredible piece of work ever and if he simply said he did it 'Because it's pretty' he would never get anywhere.

For a successful modern artist the art is in the BS.

1. Anomalous Cow Pasture
      Headmaster

Re: The art is not in the art

That's what contemporary art education emphasizes- the "artist's statement" and formal critique are first and foremost in all of the top art schools. Whether or not the person writing these things is actually capable of forming a coherent statement is another matter entirely. Then again, this is nothing new- for every Pieta or Guernica, there have been countless numbers of people creating misshapen penises, rectangular breasts and pointless images of their friends in animal masks with some lofty concept that what they're producing is revolutionary or aesthetically pleasing.

7. Neoc

My next piece will be a pedestal; on it will be a piece of raw marble and a brand new hammer and chisel. The title of the piece will be "...meh".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mmm

Will have been done already, I suspect.

8. Ralph B
    Flame

Tribute to the Artist

Since the artist is also made of stardust might I suggest she also be melted down and sent into space?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Tribute to the Artist

I don't see what is wrong with making a clear acrylic mould of her, and then liquidising the original and pouring it into the mould for all to gawp at.

But that is probably why I am locked away here at her majesty's pleasure. Nurse!

9. Frankee Llonnygog

Splarrggh of Thhlurrrgghh is very excited.

When Splarrggh saw the results of the x-ray crystallography on the outwardly normal meteorite, his sensor-fronds flapped rapidly with excitement. "Hey, guys-of-all-sixteen-genders, there's something really odd here!", he trumpeted.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

phooey.

I thought they were going to shoot the artists into space.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: completely black slides made by photographing dark bits of sky.

I thought that if the Hubble Deep Field images had taught us anything, it was that there are no completely dark bits of sky.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: completely black slides made by photographing dark bits of sky.

It depends if they were taken before or after the repair mission, which was actually where the astronaut went back to take the lens-cap off ;)

12. Crisp

Oh that's cute!

An artist trying to be sciencey :D

There are many actual artists that use scientific principles in the creation of their work.

Katie Patterson would do well to study their attempts.

13. peyton?
    Flame

I certainly feel inspired

“I hope this helps inspire people everywhere to think about the really big questions: the origin of life, the natural history of our Solar System and home planet, and our relationship with time, both geological and cosmic,”

After reading the description of the art in question, I feel inspired to shout "bollocks!"

14. Anonymous Custard
    Alien

Cut out the middle woman?

Once Campo del Cielo has had its run in front of an amazed public in Margate, Paterson plans to have it - or part of it - shot into space courtesy of the ESA. The space agency says it is seriously considering sending some or all of the melted meteorite lump up on on the next Automated Transfer Vehicle supply podule, Georges Lemaître, due to head up to the International Space Station in 2014.

Can't we just cut out the middle (wo)man and just send her instead?

The ATV is the one that at the end gets filled up with rubbish and then burns up the atmosphere isn't it? Would be more fitting.

15. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Facepalm

WOFTAM

16. Paul Webb

Turner Contemporary gallery?

Contemptible Turd gallery more like.

17. strum

Philistine techies

Amusing to see Reg commenters competing with each other, to demonstrate how shallow they are.

This idea has been in gestation for the best part of ten years (I heard about it about then). I thought it was terrific then. It will be even better, if/when it acually happens.

Putting something back, which had been dumped on us by the universe, couldn't be a stronger expression of humanity. I applaud the artist (and ESA, if they buy into it).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like