back to article Home Office opens up anonymised crime data API

Crime-conscious citizens can now view the raw data behind official stats website police.uk after the Home Office made the data freely available to download. The police.uk site, which got off to a shaky start at its 2011 launch, offers policing and crime information for local areas, as well as a Google Maps-based visualisation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Efros

Scotland Ya Bass!

Police.uk my erse!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it all adds up

crime stats + location data + time of day + personal profile data = % chance of involvement in crime.

your iphone could continuously read out the chances of something happening to you

Male 19, central city location, 12:30 Saturday night - 15% chance of assault

Female 72, own home, midday - 35% chance of fraud

or alternatively

Black Male 23, inner city, - please report to nearest police station, we expect to accuse you of something shortly

White Male 54, leafy suburb near pub, Friday afternoon - 18% chance of driving under influence

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: it all adds up

Westminster - anytime

Fraud, theft, perjury, sexual assault, drunkenness .....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Black Male 23, inner city, - please report to nearest police station, we expect to accuse you of something shortly"

Or alternatively, Black Male 23, inner city - please report to nearest police station, we expect to have to accuse you of something.

It is funny how as an IT guy, I say the phrase "Crapita wins 5 year, big bang contract that solves entire DEFRA business problems" and I could just predict how all other experienced IT staff will react. 10 to 1 most people would think "What could possibly go wrong?"

Yet bizarrely, because we don't like the message, because we perceive it to be distasteful, when policemen point out that in their experience, young black men shoot each other on an almost continual basis, we prefer to consider the police as racist, rather than experienced, and yet, no-one accusing the police of racism, ever moves to Peckham when they win the lottery.

I am glad the government is actually releasing real crime figures, but they won't because the press are openly declared multicultural liberals, and any attempt to discuss reality results in oppressive abuse. If we had an honest debate about just how much young black men liked selling drugs and shooting opponents, in turf wars, then something could be done, such as creating army units where they exclusively got to do French Foreign Legion type jobs so they can go and shoot people legally.

Alas we won't admit reality, because it is distasteful. So let's pretend that all those killed, (usually) library attending young black lads (trying to get out of a cesspit,) who are shot in south London, are killed by other library attending black lads by mistake, instead of them being murdered by socially disenfranchised, drug dealing, thick, savage murderers, because they think being looked in the eye by accident is a crime worth dying for. We can also pretend it's because they're poor too if you like, rather than it being anything to do with the absence of a father, because as we all know, single mothers can do no wrong.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

it all adds up

Black Male 23, inner city, - please report to nearest police station, we expect to accuse you of something shortly

Now that's just plain wrong.

May (Theresa, not James) says only 10% of all stop and searches result in arrests.

She wants it to be much higher.

How this is to be achieved has been left in the hands of the senior plods.

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's funny, but I have perhaps 100 plus friends. If the police stopped all of them, every day for the last decade, and right now, then investigated their history, and raided their houses, I doubt if even one of them would end up arrested for anything they have, or anything they've done.

Seems to me Stop and Search works.

4. Otto is a bear.

Oh goody

I can see the first app to be provided by the Daily Mail, they love anything to keep Right thinking people scared and voting the Right way.

5. JohnMurray

"Ellie Bloggs" disappeared long before Gadget...she just hasn't deleted the blog and made-off with a new computer that the "readers" bought. Yet.

6. Pete4000uk

It's funny...

All the information from the emergency services I used to get before they went over to Airwave I can now get via the Internet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like