back to article Apple back in court as Shanghai firm takes offence at Siri

Apple has been back in a Shanghai court this week defending claims by a local company that Siri voice assistant technology infringes one of its patents. Shanghai Zhizhen Network Technology is suing the fruit-themed tech giant’s Apple Inc and Apple Trading (Shanghai) businesses for alleged IPR infringement. In Shanghai No. 1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Big Brother

"Siri - define hypocrisy"

"Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie."

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

"they do so thanks to different underlying technology."

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Apple pioneered the use of overly-broad patents to stifle competition, but that cuts both ways. Should be an interesting case.

GJC

3. wowfood

Bit of a double standard isn't it?

For its part, Apple’s lawyers are apparently maintaining that although the two products are designed to perform similar tasks they do so thanks to different underlying technology.

Isn't that the defence Samsung normally uses which Apple claim isn't a defence at all?

4. Cliff

The whole case stinks

Intellectual Property protection is a bit of a one way street in China, but then Apple live by using the (utterly broken) USPTO patents for 'a device with a screen', 'a device' and 'a thing' in the hope of catching someone else out and making innovation dangerous with litigation threats.

Not sure which horse to back here, but they're in court so maybe they'll both lose.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: The whole case stinks

Not sure which horse to back here, but they're in court so maybe they'll both lose.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but:

Cheer for the lawyers!

When the lawyers win, everybody loses. Now I feel dirty...

5. ratfox

If anybody needed any proof

That the patent system is an obstacle to innovation…

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: If anybody needed any proof

then they've had plenty since Apple started it's stupid "thermonuclear war" on Android. If you've only just noticed now because Apple are on the receiving end then your vision is a bit skewed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like