back to article MagicPlay creator crafts Raspberry Pi demo

Hard on the heels of the release of MagicPlay, the BSD-licensed alternative to Apple's AirPlay, comes the inevitable Raspberry Pi demonstrator. Why bother? Because some people are impatient: MagicPlay's creators, DoubleTwist, hope that the streaming-over-WiFi software will become as popular as AirPlay and get built into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Habel

Good to see that DVDJon is still out there. I would ask if there would be a Linux version. That I could install on my NAS, as apple broke the mt-dappd service with iTunes 10 (or 11 I forget which). Then I remember that I don't use Windows and iTunes doesn't work on Linux so my capacity to care wains. As other Software like MediaTomb manages to get this as well as most of my Videos to stream to my XBMC enabled HTPC or SmartPhone (Android)...

1. g e
      Go

I wondered if that were the same DVDJon. Good man, still busy with stuff!

As for a Linux version, if you can get the sources of the Pi packages surely you can compile them onto any *nix pretty much ? I'd assume the player side treats the Pi as a media Renderer (or the Pi treats the Android app as one).

Either way XBMC should help you there, esp with the excellent YATSE android remote control app.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RTFM...

The Raspberry Pi's OS is Linux.

1. g e

Re: RTFM...

I took the OP to mean recompiling ARM vs x86/whatever to run on non-Pi rather than thinking the Pi isn't Linux... maybe not ;o)

I mean everyone knows the Pi is (primarily) Linux, right..?

1. Michael Habel

That was precisely what I meant my good sir.

I have am ARM 950J based NAS Box that uses Busybox, with a Linux 2.6 Kernel.

The Manufacture last updated the Firmware 'round a Year or so now. Actually to fix the iTunes Bug, Sadly it wasn't either a good fix, or Apple forked it all up again.

Be that as it may, its insanely fun to try hacking this Device to get things like MediaTomb to work with it. Plus it its a great way to learn a bit more about Linux, Arm and Busybox...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except, perhaps the original poster.

2. no-one in particular

Plan 9

3. A J Stiles
      FAIL

"I would ask if there would be a Linux version."

What OS do you think the Raspberry Pi runs?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Raspbian is one option for an OS. Linux is, after all, just the kernel; most folks need more than that to do anything useful.

Also, just because this is compiled to run on the RasPi doesn't not mean it can be dumped on any other OS running the Linux kernel and "just work".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you want multiroom and have xbmc you could get a couple of pi's as drones connected to speakers; there are packages that sync master / slave instances of xbmc. On top of that, if you have NAS on the master then you can control them independently OR sync.

5. Michael Habel

Perhaps I missed something, but even if BSD is ya*nix its still NOT LINUX! Its FREAKING BSD which has different characteristics then Linux. So excess me if I upset your applecart.

As for the RaspberryPi doing Linux ~ is Linux, Yeah I knew that already to.

What I'd really like to know is why a Dev Board like the Pi that was originally supposed to cost 'round $25.00(USD) is actually selling for more then $103.00(USD), or ca~ 80.00(EUR) or just over 4x the asking price? I don't think I ever saw a Pi go for exactly $25.00(USD) anywhere.

1. The BigYin
        FAIL

Cobblers

The model A (sans case, P&P etc) was touted at USA$25 and that is exactly what it retails at. Farnell

The model B (first on which was release) retails at USA$35. Farnell

(USA links)

Prices in other countries (e.g. UK) are roughly comparable. e.g the model B retail at UK$28.07 which is pretty much bang-on the money when you allow for exchange rates and tax (20%).

I don't know where you are getting USA$103 from, care to cite?

Note: Your delivery cost will be higher due to p&p, nothing the RasPi folks can do about that.

2. Not That Andrew

a) It's BSD licensed not BSD specific code.

b) If someone is charging you $103 for a Raspberry Pi you are being conned. My Model B board cost £24 although they are slightly more expensive these days. I have seen a RPi bundle that costs about $100 but that has a metric fucktonne of stuff with it.

1. Not That Andrew
          Facepalm

Correction

Small correction there, just checked the receipt, it was £25.92 not £24

2. Andus McCoatover

The Raspberry Pi's OS is Linux.

Unles its Android...oh, wait...(can't get the 'jolly green giant' running on mine ATM...)

1. g e
      Coat

Re: The Raspberry Pi's OS is Linux.

RiscOS !!!!!

:oD

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Raspberry Pi's OS is Linux.

Android is also Linux.

3. Neil 30

Samsung

Put it on my Samsung TV too please...

4. Steve 13

Recreating DLNA?

Doesn't this just do the same as streaming audio over DLNA?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Recreating DLNA?

Yeah. Apart from the fact that there's a chance this might actually work. DLNA often doesn't.

2. Michael Habel

Re: Recreating DLNA?

Now I'm no expert on this but, I think the difference between DAAP (iTunes Bonjour Service), and your average DLNA Server. Is the ability to stream all the Metadata along with the actual piece of Music. Again if I understood what I learned about this though my NAS Box DLNA does not send much in the way of any Metadata or Play Counts that kinda stuff. Its probably only useful for those that continue to use iTunes.

Thankfully Linux is saving me from this at the moment. The only thing I miss is the iTMS as I almost got my music at the time exclusively from there. But then again iTunes has grown like a Weed since I started using it 10 years ago now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Squeezeplug probably worth a look

http://www.squeezeplug.de/

Build your own Squeezebox --- now that Logitech have senselessly discarded that wonderful range.

6. James Hughes 1

re: Poor audio

Audio over HDMI is high quality, audio over the 3.5mm jack is cheap and cheerful. If you want quality, use HDMI audio. Saying it's audio is poor is only half the story.

1. Richard Dale

Re: re: Poor audio

The Raspberry Pi's USB output is high quality when used with an adaptive USB DAC. I use it with a pair of B&W MM-1 speakers and it works very well. But the USB driver doesn't work with asynchronous USB yet, as it has bugs which I believe are still being fixed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like