back to article Who ate all the flash pie: Samsung, 'course, but hang on... GOOGLE?

Tech analyst Gartner has lifted the lid on its numbers for SSD shipments in 2012 and thanks to Stifel Nicolaus analyst Aaron Rakers, El Reg has some pie chart eye candy for you. First of all, it looks like the startups are catching up with the big vendors in some sectors, which is good news for competition. Also, Google is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google selling SSDs

Maybe they are just reselling old SSDs that have been replaced by newer ones in their data centers?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google SSDs

Perhaps they're rebranding devices or making their own SSD interfaces for search appliances?

3. lurker

Research is hard

1. Google for 'Google SSD'.

2. Click first link.

3. ....

4. Profit???

1. Anton Channing
      Unhappy

Re: Research is hard

Dunno if its because Google are 'personalising' my search, but the first hit for me isn't very informative on the matter.

2. Azzy

Re: Research is hard

I'm not getting any explanation either from Google search- other than that they were planning to use Intel SSDs. Which is inconsistent with this report- it implies they are selling SSDs. All I could find was referring to them buying ssds.

4. Frogmelon

Dear Samsung UK

Please can you hurry up and give me the cashback I was promised for buying my shiny new 256MB 840 Pro SSD.

The cashback rules said "Up to 28 Days" and it's now been, like, 60 days.

It doesn't make your company look good at all.

Cheers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Samsung UK

Ah the good old cash back scam.

We have your money and now don't care.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They do take a while but so far we have not had problems with Samsung cashback. The biggest annoyance is the scammy style of cashback where you have to wait a few weeks before filing the claim.

1. Frogmelon

With this one people had to wait 15 days before claiming - but still claim within 45 days of purchase - leaving a window of 30 days, so it seems Samsung's SSD cashback offer does indeed fall into your definition of "scammy" :)

But I followed it all the the letter and... still no cashback :)

Samsung! 말보다 증거

5. Hcobb

Isn't Google shipping flash drives to Google?

1. Gordon Pryra

Are these numbers down to sales or Google making them for themselves?

I've not seen Google branded SSD's though I presume from the back of this article that they are inside the various Google rack mounted boxes we get

I'm guessing Google just brought their own SSD manufacturing ability to save cash. And considering they send a number of backups in case the first one goes down (it never has, but we have 4 backups for some reason) the numbers of SSD's are high.

1. Gordon Pryra

Re: Are these numbers down to sales or Google making them for themselves?

Gimmi an up-vote for being right for the first time this week!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You've probably hit the nail on the head there

I reckon 'Google SSD Inc' will be selling SSD's to 'Google Search Appliance Inc' at a loss

Another tax limitation ploy I don't wonder

3. NogginTheNog

Google shipping to Google

Tax deductably of course ;-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incomplete??

I didn't see Micron or Dell in the enterprise SSD numbers, which I find surprising. EMC is also missing, even though they deliver both drives and PCIe cards. Of course they may be included in other suppliers numbers.

I haven't been able to surface the original Gartner report on the Internet yet. Is it public domain or copyright?

7. Val Bercovici
    Go

valb@netapp.com

Disclosure - I work for NetApp.

Not sure how Gartner calculated their numbers, but as of mid-2013, NetApp has shipped over 50PB of FlashCache (formerly known as PAM II) alone. More impressive is that Real-time data (vs policy) driven auto-tiering technology is accelerating > 5 Exabytes of disk.

Once again viewing capacity shipped relative to revenue reveals much more about the storage industry and value delivered to customers!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: valb@netapp.com

I haven't been able to see the numbers from Gartner directly. This looks like it was a disclosure of the data by a third party, so it might have gotten lost in translation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like