back to article SK Telecom launches first LTE-Advanced network with new Galaxy S4

South Korean mobile operator SK Telecom is claiming to be the first in the world to launch a smartphone-supported LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) network, promising speeds of up to 150Mbps – almost double that of 4G. The carrier said the network, which comes two years after it launched its LTE service, will provide speeds 10 times that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

This is wonderful

I'll be able to use up my monthly data allowance in less than a minute.

2. Fihart

Contrast this with UK

Presumably SK were already selling lots of 4G if they and Samsung are prepared to invest in a follow-on tech.

Contrast with UK where EE's attempt at 4G has been met with less enthusiasm -- largely due to charges and coverage issues. UK providers need a wake up call about prices before consumers here will buy 4G.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Contrast this with UK

EE's problems are way bigger than LTE coverage.

3. petriojala

Some time ago we moved to a new place and it took about a week to get the 100/10 fiber up and running.

Meanwhile I was using the LTE stick on the Macbook Air and get 4G performance of around 95 Mbit/s down, 30 Mbit/s up. I have also seen people report speed slightly above 100 Mbit/s.

No doubt LTE-A is a good thing and will improve the bandwidth available, but sometimes I feel the performance figures are too often based on US networks, where 4G speeds are often in the range that other markets can achieve already with 3G (DC-)HSPA+ networks. We spent four months in the US this spring and I was quite happy with the Verizon 4G MiFi device as a mobile broadband, but it wasn't that spectacular for LTE performance as such.

4. CyberAngel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#User_Equipment_.28UE.29_categories

it's barely +50%

not anything really special

triple speed (double this new version) is around the corner

but the REAL 4G LTE-Advanced is that 1Gb (½Gb up) category!

Coming in to your operator any day (year) soon...2016

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like