back to article Unix luminary among seven missing at sea

One of the shining lights of the world of Unix, retired CU professor Evi Nemeth, is among a group of sailors missing at sea near New Zealand. The author of system administration tomes covering both Unix and Linux – and, incidentally a mathematician of sufficient quality to identify problems with Diffie-Helman encryption – has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cyberdemon Silver badge
    WTF?

Fneh

Is there some villain going round assassinating ancient computer science geniuses or what?

It was only two days ago that James Martin turned up dead off of Bermuda.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Fneh

Well, there is a certain computer guru who owns his own extinct volcano island, logically surrounded by sharks.

Perhaps this is phase 2 of his diabolical plan.

Phase 3 involves purchasing a white siamese kitty.

2. JL1155
    Pint

She taught me UNIX

I learnt UNIX in her classes. Evi was my teacher at the University of Colorado in Boulder in the eighties.

3. tempemeaty

I do not like this, it better not be a trend

Steve Jobs, James Martin, now Evi Nemeth. I hope we don't have to start a death watch over major contributors to the OS and networking world.

1. Steven Roper

Re: I do not like this, it better not be a trend

You forgot Dennis C. Ritchie, the inventor of C, in that list.

But you're right about being worried over this death watch. Bill Gates better watch out, he might be next!

1. RAMChYLD
        Boffin

Nah, Bill Gates isn't a concern- he's more of a businessman than programmer. It's The Woz I'm worried about.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Shows how much you know about Bill then, doesn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

"Nah, Bill Gates isn't a concern- he's more of a businessman than programmer. It's The Woz I'm worried about."

I think you're being a bit unfair there - like him or loath him , Gates knew how to code. In fact I'd say he was a better coder than businessman - with the business side he was just the in the right place at the right time and no doubt had a shed load of advice from his father and also there was Balmer to help out (yeah I know, he's lost the plot now , but back in the day ...). I'd say MS became a success despite rather than because of his business skills.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. C 18
            Meh

>In fact I'd say he was a better coder than businessman...

Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that...

He was the richest businessman in the world at one stage. I don't think he ever achieved a similar accolade in the programming world. Admittedly he did write code using techniques that most of today's programmers only hear about in 'tales of lore', but he's no Ritchie, Kernighan, Thompson, Torvalds, Stallman the list goes on...

He did beat Jobs to the punch (more than once), took IBM for a ride, some say invented the software industry, and built the giant Microsoft to name a few notable business achievements of his.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was a better businessman than coder.

And he is trying to save the world, and it doesn't look like he's doing it to stroke his ego. Which is nice...

1. Allonymous Coward

> the richest businessman in the world

> And he is trying to save the world

Have Bill Gates and Batman ever been seen in the same room together?

2. C 18

Unfortunately it is a trend, as Palahniuck wrote...

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Fight Club

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Unfortunately it is a trend, as Palahniuck wrote

I think Keynes said it better (and earlier): "In the long run we are all dead".

4. Steve I
    Go

Trending...

You're worried that there's a conspiracy to bump off "major contributors to the OS and networking world." and you're worried about Bill Gates?

I think Ol' Bill better start working on his alibi...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Trending...

Any signs of blunt force trauma in the shape of a chair leg? I mean, if you're talking about Microsoft...

Mine's the one with the Kathy Reichs novel, thanks

5. Justin Stringfellow
    Trollface

reaped

Presumably now her death has been reported she can now exit cleanly rather than be stuck as a zombie.

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Cruel Sea

Last year I crewed a 52ft cat on a 2000 mile non-stop voyage. It was a nightmare! Close hauled for 90% of the time and then a following sea with storm 10 wind for the last leg, sea anchor out and hoping not to broach.

Not helped by the skipper being an arsehole, and the radios, Navtext and bilge alarms not working.

My sympathies with the relatives.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Cruel Sea

Why are you sailing with Larry?

7. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Unhappy

And when all of the OS pioneers are dead....

.... Oracle & Microsoft can re-patent all of the fundamental stuff that these guys invented, but thought was too trivial to patent.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. kooros

Don't Underestimate Evi

Those of us who know her personally, as a teacher, as a mentor, as a boss, know she's tough as nails (but with a soft inside). Aside from teaching us Unix and IP internetworking in the very early days of the Internet, she taught me that students rise to the level of expectation. She was always fiercely devoted to her students. And she would not abide injustice, regardless of the personal inconvenience. If I had to choose one Nina crew member most likely to survive, though she's the oldest, Evi's the toughest, and the fiercest. Hang in there; we love you Evi.

10. apolinsky

I'm afraid that many of the comments indicate a lack of knowledge about Mr. Gates' abilities. Years ago, when Byte was the magazine that everyone read, they sponsored a test to design a program to perform certain tasks. The test was timed, and the output validated. You could program in any language you preferred. Mr. Gates' choice was Basic. He competed against teams using C, Pascal, Fortran among others. He finished first; his programs ran the quickest, and his results were correct. You might not like Windows, or Microsoft (I use Linux, I started with Slackware 2.2) but it is unwise to castigate Mr. Gates' programming abilities. They are superior.

Alan

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like