back to article Albanese takes telecoms ministry

Australia now knows who the chief pitch-man for the National Broadband Network is to be: longtime MP and now deputy prime minister Anthony Albanese. Albanese, who has been in federal parliament since 1996, has a long-standing interest in public infrastructure, but will have a steep learning curve to master the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Big-nosed Pengie

Wrong choice

It's a pity about Conroy - he was good at his job and, as a politician, relatively straight.

But Kate Lundy is the only politician, at least in federal parliament, who has a clue about technology. She should have been the choice.

1. Mark 65

Re: Wrong choice

Good at his job? The man believed he could do whatever the Government wanted with the internet and filtering in particular - I'd call that pretty sh!t at your job unless your job is "technical arsehat". He was totally ignorant of the ease at which filtering is circumvented. His statement about pants on heads really said it all. Total numbnut.

As for Lundy having an interest in technology, that's all well and good but so does my two year-old. An aptitude is what you want, not an interest. Given the peer group I'd say ability in this area is all relative.

2. Persona non grata

Re: Wrong choice

Actually Scott Ludlam, surprisingly from the Greens is very clued up.

He introduced a new copyright amendment last week that would work for both citizens and corporates - so the vested interests will vote against it but it makes for good and interesting reading.

http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/speeches-parliament/copyright-legislation-amendment-fair-go-fair-use-bill-2013

Nice to see Husic get a guernsey as well, he could do interesting things in this space.

Not confident with Albenase, he just seems like a careerist politician.

2. marky_boi
    Thumb Up

Ed's the man

Ed Husic comes from a Telecoms background, he was in the CEPU, I trust he will ensure Anthony is kept correctly informed and says factually correct things

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Save the NBN

Vote future, vote progress.

4. GrumpyOldBloke

Albanese was the man who gave us mandatory full body scanning at Australian Int'l airports with no opt out clause and no limits on any future technology. The Greens opposed such sweeping powers being granted to the public service but Lab and Lib joined together to pass the bill and then applauded themselves afterwards. Albanese in charge of Australian telecommunications does not bode well for civil liberties in an internet world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like