back to article Andreessen, Metcalfe, Stallman and Swartz added to Internet Hall of Fame

The Internet Society has announced the latest inductees into the Internet Hall of Fame, and is including a posthumous entry for internet activist Aaron Swartz. The Internet Hall of Fame was founded last year, and this second round adds 32 appointees in three categories: Pioneers, Innovators, and Connectors. The new inductees …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"former fearsome folk dancer"

EPIC!

2. btrower

Sometimes the good guys win

I am glad that rms made it on to that list.

What you are reading here likely came through code compiled with Richard's gcc. It could not get to you without somewhere touching on GNU code, of that I am sure. We might have had a free Internet without rms, but I doubt it. Look at how vigorous the makers of walled gardens *continue* to battle the open Internet. Imagine if Apple had even more control than it does now. Ugh.

I still think that rms gets a raw deal considering his contribution to the world.

Ten years ago, I wrote the following article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1012416/in-praise-richard-stallman

It was well received, but the world has continued to ignore rms as much as it can. A surprising number of technical people don't really know where all this stuff comes from. I am still peevish about how Dennis Ritchie's passing was overshadowed by Steve Jobs' passing. Doug Engelbart is still alive as I write this. I wonder what percentage of people whose livings depend upon his work have even heard of him. You would probably need a decimal point to express it in numbers.

I am, like rms, a 'hacker'. I am proud of that. In the culture of the people who gave you the Internet, it is a compliment. How many reading this do not even know that?

It does not happen nearly enough, but sometimes the good guys actually win.

3. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Pint

Wott??

Was Al Gore not honoured? The creator of the internet after all?

(Bahahaha. Somebody hold my beer while I finish laughing).

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Wott??

Al Gore is important because he pushed legislation that helped establish the internet as we know it today. He has never claimed to be its creator. Without his interest and perseverance, we would have a different (and IMHO less good) online world. Don't mock through ignorance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What Al Gore said was " I invented the internet". It wasn't until he got roundly slammed for it that he clarified what he meant.

AC because I remember his "Clipper Chip" project back when he was V.P.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

That was what he was *reported* to have said. But was that an accurate reporting?

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Al_Gore

4. mhenriday
    Big Brother

OK with these awards,

but it seems sheer negligence to omit the NSA and the GCHQ....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like