A question of forum etiquette

This topic was created by dogged .

1. dogged

A question of forum etiquette

Is the "post withdrawn for calling Eadon a cunt" thing universal or just me?

PS. He is one.

1. Corinne
      Happy

Re: A question of forum etiquette

I think it's which words one uses. The "C" word can't be biologically correct anyway, as there can't be any question that Eadon is male (just read his posts).

I've seen plenty of posts suggesting that Eadon is a touch misguided, maybe to the degree of being certifiable, which is why I've never had to bother myself, so maybe it's just the use of an biological abusive word?

1. dogged

@Corinne

It's just a word, albeit one with very strong overtones of Piers Morgan.

1. Corinne

Re: @Corinne

It's a word with a specific biological meaning related to a part of the anatomy a woman has & a man doesn't. I was therefore making what I thought was a miuldly amusing comment about how inappropriate that word was when referring to a man, but "whoosh" clearly over some people's heads.

Unless of course the correct meaning of the word wasn't known when it was used.....

1. dogged

It may be a personal thing, but I find myself horrified at the notion of calling a woman a cunt. It would seem to reduce her to just one thing. Whereas calling Eadon a cunt simply means (to me) that he is wrongness, a thing that should not be.

1. Corinne

Ah I misjudged you then. There seems to be a tendency in recent years for people to use words they know are considered abusive without knowing the actual meaning of the word - when you tell them the meaning of what they just called someone they are either horrified or just plain disbelieving.

Doesn't make any difference though to my initial comment; you may have intended to imply Eadon is wrongness, but to some readers the term used is in itself offensive.

Was I personally offended? Nope, I don't take offence easily at language - I was brought up with horses, motorbikes & rock music and can outswear most of my male friends for that reason!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
                Happy

There seems to be a tendency in recent years for people to use words they know are considered abusive without knowing the actual meaning of the word

Corinne,

My Mum had picked up twat as a nice safe, inoffensive insult. The worst swear word she'll allow herself is oh bugger. When we were kids it was "oh bugs", in the hope we wouldn't notice... She's in her mid 70s so swearing isn't something she does much, and it mostly makes her uncomfortable.

It was extremely funny when she found out what twat actually meant. I've never heard her use it since. Perhaps I ought to persuade her that calling people tea-baggers is a nice harmless insult...

1. Corinne
                  Happy

You, Spartacus, are an EVIL twisted man - I like it!

My mother (long passed sadly) looked for a good swear word that would have power but not be crude; she finally settled on the word "fardles" which would SOUND offensive to people, but actually just means a burden

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Meh

Apart from being an ad hominem attack, I don't think Eadon is a cunt.

Muppet? Yes. Bellend? Yes. Cunt? Not so much.

To be considered a cunt one would have to be a deeply unpleasant person with few, or ideally no, redeeming features. I've not seen anything from Eadon to indicate that he has any personal faults apart from being a misguided troll with an evangelical hatred of everything Microsoft-related for some reason. I suspect that his mother may have put a mobile that played the Win 95 startup jingle on his pram handle, scarring him for life.

But then what do I know? I resorted to calling him a twat once and got away with it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am not personally offended by the word and I have no quarrel with a general discussion on the reader forums. But attaching this discussion to a fellow commentard, whatever you think about him, oversteps the mark.

BTW - we would not accept this word in comments attached to articles - or use this word - as a swear word - in an article.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

dogged,

It's one of the few swearwords that still retains some of its power to shock. You still don't hear it very often. And most people would put it top of the naughty hit parade.

I guess in 10-15 years time it'll be as commonplace as fuck has become. I can't think of anything else left to use, and as many of these swearwords are quite old that could mean nothing new comes along to replace it. Rather like antibiotics slowly become less useful as immunity builds up - soon there will be no effective swears left...

Well apart from Belgium...

I don't know why Eadon gets to you so much though. Which he obviously does from the levels of exasperation in some of your responses. He's not offensive to other users, apart from sometimes calling them shills. And even then, he usually does that in general terms. A pointed passive-aggressive, "there's a lot of Microsoft Shills about" in reply to one of my nice posts about Win Mob is the worst I can think of off-hand. He's also not got the full set of troll-skills. He'll bomb a thread with anti-MS posts, but only reply to the posts that go up while he's still looking at it. He doesn't tend to endlessly come back and obsessively reply to all the people having a go at him.

Plus I get uncomfortable at some of the personal abuse he cops. Mostly people make funny digs (and if you're trolling you have to take that), but sometimes people stray over into being personal and nasty. And I've never seen him respond to that by returning the abuse. So he deserves brownie points for that.

So I don't think it's fair for you to call him a cunt. If your post got modded, then it deserved it. When I was a forum mod I'd have handed out a day's forum ban for it as well. But that was a far more strictly modded community that here. On the Irish forum I was even supposed to stop them saying feck. Separating an Irishman from his right to say that is fecking impossible.

So don't be a stupid Ghent. Lighten up. As jake would say, have a home brew. Although all the home brew I've tasted was vile, so maybe have something brewed by professionals instead.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

...soon there will be no effective swears left...

Nope, things come and go over time. Roll back a few hundred years and you find that every town of any size has a "Great Cunt Lane", a "Cunt Alley" or similar, which is where the brothels were to be found. The truly horrific "naughty word" of that period was "slids", a contraction of "God's eyelids".

These days, the truly beyond the pale epithets are the ones alluding to the ethnic origin of the target.

The reason is cultural change. In the Middle Ages, religion was the taboo subject to make light of. These days it's race. In another few hundred years..........what?

2. dogged

May be (urban?) myth but allegedly before the Great Fire of 1666, Threadneedle Street in London was actually "Gropecunt Lane".

Also, there's an awful lot of "post deleted by moderator" on threads which mention Microsoft today.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Looks like that's definately a myth. There's an old map on Wikipedia showing the location of the City's Grope Countelane and the surrounding brothel area. That's south of Cheapside, just east of Queen street and thus, while fairly close, significantly west and south of Threadneedle Street.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Happy

I made a little silly joke about Microsoft on here not so long ago.

Someone replied to it with this: "Eadon, your dad's here!" I cannot remember who.

That was far worst than calling me a cunt I can tell you!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Whoever that was, they owe me a keyboard.

(Forum search says that "Danny 14" is on the hook for that one. Credit where credit's due. As you closed a Win 8 rant with a one-liner ending with FAIL in block caps, I think that one has to be described as "Harsh, but fair".)

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Happy

hehe I guess that's true! I've learned my lesson I don't want to be accused of that again in a hurry - otherwise it will be me, Eadon and Andrew Orlowski or someone from el reg all appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show for a paternity test and a fight if these rumours were to continue!

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Devil

Well it could be even worse in future. Now that the El Reg Commentard Soviet have taken Eadon out and shot him. You might be accused of actually being Eadon.

LINKOFHYRULE COMMENT FAIL!

...Ooops...

1. TeeCee Gold badge

I'll bet a tidy sum that he's busily posting diatribes to the effect that The Register is run by a bunch of MS shills everywhere else.

I'm sure that in his mind the only possible reason he could get banned is if those who did it were MS shills, as every word he wrote was THE TRUTH!!111!

1. Corinne

Has he actually been banned? I'd just guessed he was off line for a few days, maybe on holiday...

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Nope, definately been given the boot.

First time I've seen that happen around here, although there are a few "disappeared" from days gone by that I now reckon may have been given a rather less public execution than that.

5. LinkOfHyrule

I'm not him, I have the jokes taking the piss out of Linux on this very forum to prove it! And I actually like some Microsoft products, Solitaire is decent enough! haha!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Tee hee. Perhaps I'll install Windows 8 on my PC on Sunday in his honour...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 on your PC

If i were you, i would buy an apple laptop in his honor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon