back to article ASA bans Samsung's 'misleading' free Galaxy Tab 2 ad

The Advertising Standard Agency has ordered Samsung to pull two "misleading" online and television adverts. In an adjudication published today, the ASA said it had received complaints over adverts which claimed customers would receive a free Samsung Galaxy tab or money off the firm's products when they upgraded to high-end …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the effect is ?

Zero. They wil pull the ad and then pull another fast one. Everyone does that.

Without financial penalties and court action/class action, ASA remains a paper tiger, wasting taxpayers's money, achieving fuckall.

WHen will this charade end?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pull the Ad???

I expect they're only a few weeks away from retiring the entire product, I don't think they've advertised it for months.

It was outdated when it was released anyway, the Transformer Prime blew it out of the water and that was on the market months before the Samsung.

Another thorough gumming by the ASA, well done lads.

2. Amonynous

Re: And the effect is ?

"ASA remains a paper tiger, wasting taxpayers's money."

The ASA is funded by advertisers, who are in turn funded by the people who buy their products. Given that you have to pay VAT on pretty much everything worth advertising (except maybe potatoes), those people are indeed taxpayers, but I don't think that was the thrust of your argument.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Too good to be true?

It usually is.

4. LarsG
      Meh

Galaxy Tab?

New Galaxy Tab 2 £241.98

New iPhone 4S £445.00

Prices Courtesy of Amazon.

Great deal is it not?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny how all of the comments on Samsung reviews are critical of the reviewer and much of the time they recommend the HTC One over the Galaxy S4.

It seems Samsung are very good in the spin war, it's a shame they don't put the same level of expertise into the product.

Who on earth launches a premium Android phone with 16GB (9GB free) and makes it out of plastic?

32GB wouldn't break the bank and you would at least have a chance of installing some apps and games on it.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Did you post this on the wrong article? I don't see how it is relevant.

2. Stephen 2

16GB Storage

You do realise that they offer a microsd slot on their products right? I bought the 16GB model and added a 64GB microsd card.

The main phone storage is used for my apps and then my media goes on the microsd card. I can also use the microsd card for apps if needs be.

They do also have 32/64 base models of the S3/S4 too. It's not just the 16GB model available.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advert Speak and meanings

Unlimited - limited

Not capped - capped for high users

Sale now on - please buy last years model

Low fat - high sugar

No added salt - already very salty

On average - but we only polled 3 people and 2 of them loved it

Too good to be true - It's rubbish

Only a few left - warehouse full that is

Must end soon - still more to flog

Must have gadget - Overpriced tut that happens to be shiny

1. Andy Fletcher

Re: Advert Speak and meanings

My favourite

90% fat free - 10% fat

2. The Axe
      Happy

You've just given away all the reasons for the ASA's existence. You should be banned and not allowed to post ever again on this forum.

3. adnim
      Devil

Nothing acts faster - Everything else is just as slow.

One for your list AC.... Have an up vote too.

Spawn of Satan, not because the devil is in the detail.... The devil is the detail.

4. Alan Denman

How can they can the could?

They I could understand the 'could' bit.

Can and could, there is a difference.

I guess all those competitions where you 'could' win a free holiday banned too.

5. dougal83
    Happy

I can't complain

I can read. I got a free tablet simples. Sold it as I already have Tab 10.1.

6. The Axe
    Flame

ASA should be scrapped

So the ASA (who only get involved as far as I know after complaints, how many this time?) say that because only a few phones were in the special offer that meant that many people would be disappointed when their phone didn't qualify. What are the ASA doing? Trying to say that Samsung should have applied the offer to all smart phones so that everyone is equal in some kind of lefty paradise? It doesn't matter if it's only three phones or a dozen, there will always be people who don't qualify. Life's unfair and its a bitch, but you don't need the ASA to tell you that. More and more the ASA is bringing up reasons for it's scrapping.

1. dougal83

Re: ASA should be scrapped

2 Complaints. Probably form Apple Inc. and a private citizen called Mr Cook.

2. Mark .

Re: ASA should be scrapped

True, though I think it's fair to say the advert could do with more explanation, because it does seem odd to restrict it based on what you exchange - indeed, why does someone "trading" get a free tablet, but someone buying outright doesn't? Usually the reason for doing this is they'll sell the old one, but then this seems unlikely with iphones. Perhaps it's intended to reward people for converting. If it's a "trade" offer but only at specific phones, that should be clearer.

But I do entirely agree that the iphones are more than just two models - sorry, just because Apple decide to count them as identical models so they can misleadingly claim "single best selling model" doesn't make it true.

7. ZippingLou
    Thumb Down

What a Rip-Off

My iPhone 4S is worth more than the stupid Tablet they are offering me for it, Scam$ung!

1. dougal83
      Megaphone

Re: What a Rip-Off

It's all in perceived value. I personally would value an iPhone 4S at £0 and a Tab 2 at £200. You see it's how much you can actually sell them for... My sister for example got a 4S secondhand, it was faulty now she won't touch them. Now I can't find anyone stupid enough to buy outdated Apple kit off me especially when there are better alternatives amoung the range of budget phones.

8. ZippingLou
    Pint

A Better Sentence ...

Would be to make Scam$ung give the free tablet to All customers who upgraded regardless. That would be JUSTICE vs the scammers.

1. Intractable Potsherd
      Thumb Down

Re: A Better Sentence ...

Your point may be true, but your childish tone and use of "Scam$ung" completely undermine it. The effectiveness of a message is *what* and *how* the thing is said (and sometimes who said it).

Have a downvote for frothing unnecessarily.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like