back to article Bank details - PAH! Phishers want your Facebook password

The frequency of phishing attacks against UK internet users has tripled over the last 12 months, according to figures from Russian security software firm Kaspersky Lab. Facebook, Yahoo! Google and Amazon are the websites most targeted by phishers in the UK, indicating a diversification away from the traditional target of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Hey phishers!!!!....

If you want my Facebook login you're bloody welcome to it - if you're that desperate to look at pictures of my sisters cats all day that is! Thought not!

But if you change your mind and you do fancy ogling some puss, then why not cut out the middle-man - instead of phising for Facebook logins just get a job at PRISM and fill your boots with as much puss as you can handle!

Paris because its too early in the morning and I'm talking shite to myself on the el-reg forums! Again!

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Hey phishers!!!!.... THINK AGAIN!

Be careful with your Facebook account. There are many, many other sites that will use the Facebook login process to access their site (I think linked-in will, and I was looking at the On-TV app on Android that allows it - I tend to ignore it as I don't want all my accounts linked together). I think these processes work by logging into Facebook themselves, and seeing whether the ID that you've given is currently logged in.

There seems to be a group of information providers that would like to become single sign-on candidates. I've seen Google, Yahoo and PayPal as well as Facebook offered as quick ways of registering and authenticating for other sites on the Web.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"There are many, many other sites that will use the Facebook login process to access their site"

And, before long, social security benefits. "Hello Mr Link. DWP here. We see you've been claiming Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Disability Personal Independence Allowance Benefit (due to an old sword wound) for the last five years. Can you please provide the documentation for that?"

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Happy

haha!

2. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

They can have my Facebook password

Pity I don't have an account to go with it!

3. Scott Pedigo
    Facepalm

If someone steals your Facebook password, then...

...you have lost face.

1. frank ly

Re: If someone steals your Facebook password, then...

Oh the shame (of posting such a terrible joke)!

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Thumb Up

Re: If someone steals your Facebook password, then...

No that's a good joke, I just upvoted it! It's better than the guff I come up with after-all!

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Login using FaceBook!

Can't be long now until Summer Wars becomes reality.

I remember thinking, after the first time I watched that; "Hell, we're actually bloody doing this....".

If I ever see a bank or similar offering the "convenience" of logging on with your FB credentials I'm going to find a deep hole, climb in and pull the ruddy thing in after me.

5. Anomalous Cowshed

It's a new world, new measures are required

As more and more social, government, financial and business interaction moves to the Internet, especially for individuals, people - especially vulnerable people, such as older people - are going to have to be educated in computer security, because the risk of online crime against these people are becoming ever greater, and their mindset isn't adjusted to it; they are barely aware of the security measures that have to be taken against physical attacks (in the street, against the home), let alone digital attacks, which are too subtle for most people to detect. A lot of work lies ahead.

6. Senior Ugli

surely this is a hold-to-ransom type of affair rather than "I just want to look at your messages and pictures etc"

If you stole a FB account details, then emailed the user saying I want X amount before a certain day, otherwise I will:

message your mother saying you are addicted to crack and a secret gay

message your ex claiming to have aids

message a friend admitting you watch big brother

post a status proclaiming your love of nickelback and a photoshopped image of account holder with the lead singer

plus other various dodgy images, gore and racist things you could post to wreck the lives of the people who devote their whole life to FB

I do remember a 4chan escapade where they had a bunch of details for FB accounts, watching the madness unfold was rather funny

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Struggling

message your mother saying you are addicted to crack and a secret gay

message your ex claiming to have aids

message a friend admitting you watch big brother

post a status proclaiming your love of nickelback and a photoshopped image of account holder with the lead singer

I would be mortified if anyone proclaimed I loved nickelback, also is "addicted to crack and a secret gay" not a contradiction?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Struggling

"also is "addicted to crack and a secret gay" not a contradiction?"

Not if it's arse crack :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Struggling

john the ripper could rip you one...

7. ISYS
    Alert

Hackers dream

Get in to target's Facebook/linkedin accounts and create a dictionary based on the content (most people's password are based on something in their life)

Then dictionary attack their place of work/bank etc.

It is like social hacking without actually talking to the target (other than the initial phish).

8. Martin H Watson

Has John Leydon left...

...the Sex Pistols then? I bet I'm the 12th to ask today.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh...

Why would anyone not use upper/lower case alpha/numerical/non-alpha numerical characters and different passwords and not keep them in txt files?

Unless of course the world is full of idiots? Picture for example of this

10. taxman
    Holmes

For every nefarious action

there is a reason

11. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Devil

One day ...

I might write a program to hit phishing links with hundreds of thousands of bogus login details, and invite people to forward me any phishing emails they get as targets.

In fact, now I'm thinking about it, a better way would be a distributed app (a la SETI@Home) so the logins appear to come from all over the net.

On a more low-tech note, if everybody who got a phishing email clicked the link and supplied a duff login, the inherent value in phishing would collapse overnight.

I just need that round tuit ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: One day ...

"On a more low-tech note, if everybody who got a phishing email clicked the link and supplied a duff login, the inherent value in phishing would collapse overnight."

Been doing it for years, behind TOR, with valid card numbers from dark coding (he does a card number gen which passes all checks except the csv digits..

Its great fun, knowing these fucking idiots will be trying over and over to try my apparently real details...

Im pleasured to have wasted their time....

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Phishing Attacks?

Who is going to save us all from these BT, PayPal, Yahoo, Google, Facebook and Amazon phishing attacks ?

13. RcR

Idiocracy

Ho-hum; what moron would possibly be fooled by such childish tricks?

1. beep54
      Devil

Re: Idiocracy

You must now know very many actual people.

1. beep54

Re: Idiocracy

Not, dammit NOT. Where's that fucking edit button?????

14. mwngy

BT

BT encourage phish-prone behaviour by sending out regular emails with links to their site, requiring you to log in to see your bill.

Once they have established that habit, it makes it very easy for the phishers.

I have long sent requests to their customer service bit bucket for an option to put a bill summary in the monthly email (as talktalk do now) - that's all I (and probably most people) need to see (to check nothing is amiss), and then they won't bother clicking on links. I don't consider my monthly bill total sensitive data that cannot be sent by email.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like