back to article Wireless power limit doubled to bridge digital divide

Ofcom has allowed fixed broadband internet providers to double the power of their signals in a move the UK telecoms regulator says will help bridge the digital divide. The new rules apply to the 5.8GHz frequency, which is used by fixed WiMax radio technology for wireless internet connections. The frequency is subject to light …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arnold Lieberman

Are they not THINKING OF THE CHILDREN?

I can see the sales of Neurofen in North London to neurotic 4x4-driving mothers shooting up after all these radiation-spewing Beacons of Satan start glowing.

2. Steve Evans

Ohhh

Wait until panaroma gets a load of this!

3. Jeff Deacon

Paranoia paradise!

Even after the increase in power (to 4 watts), the base station will still not have the power of an average mobile phone or walkie-talkie radio!

But let us not allow the facts of the matter to get in the way of a good emotional outburst from the tinfoil hat brigade.

I wonder whether I should expect visitations from the paranoids when they learn that in an adjacent frequency band, I have a licence that permits me to transmit 400 watts!

4. Dillon Pyron

WiMax my patooty

I've got brain cancer from my mobile. The mere fact that the phone spends 16 hours a day on my hip and probably 30 minutes at my ear is irrelevant.

And I'm going crazy from my Wifi and house phone, both of which use that deadly 2.4 gighertz band.

Luddites!

5. Luca Spiller

The digital divide...

I live in a rural area where we have broadband (up to 8mb, but I can only get 5.5mb). The nearest town with proper shops is 10 miles away and the nearest place with good shops is about 50 miles away. We also can't get mobile signals and can only get Freeview (sometimes any TV signal) if it hasn't been sunny during the day due to atmospheric conditions (in other words we have no TV for most of summer....).

Now this is area would probably rank quite poorly in how much technology an area has, so why do you ask? It isn't because we have a poor TV signal. It ain't because we can't get a mobile signal. It probably ain't because we can 'only' get 5.5mb broadband. So why you ask?

Because half of the people here are so f-ing old they can't even use their car radios!

The so called digital divide isn't because people don't have access to this sort of technology, but it is because they don't know how to or want to use it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like