back to article WD HAMRs down shingles on disk drive road map

Twenty years ago a myriad of hard drive vendors pushing essentially the same technology fought themselves into oblivion. Over the coming years the remaining players will be pushing traditional technology to its limits to extend the life of hard disk technology. While the industry is pretty much standardised on perpendicular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Productisation"???

I'm gobsmackified.

1. 1Rafayal

Re: "Productisation"???

Yes, it is rather stundulating

2. Wanda Lust

Too many undefined TLAs

PMR, PMS, SMR, HMR, SMD, NST..... WTF, TPM, GGW (go google wikipedia)....

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

I'm glad that WD's acquisition policies are recognised as "slash and burn"

Given recent reliability figures I'm also glad to be shot of the last of their disks in our server farm.

What worries me is that everyone is moving to shingling and this is going to play merry hell with random io.

4. Jim O'Reilly
    Holmes

Different drive classes

The weak random write performance of shingled drives is a huge issue. But that is only true if we treat them as disk drives.

The better model is to use SSD for data that will be overwritten, and use shingle drives for WORM. Most of the data in a system is actually WORM, since we use snapshots for data integrity and actually don't overwrite blocks too often. And all that code is WORM.

Shingle drives actually fit the new SSD-centric model better than HDD.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Helium? Resources will be depleted faster...

... no more balloons!

6. chris 17 Silver badge
    Meh

Burning platforms etc. spinning disk is the new tape, PCI-e SSD are the new sata/disk combo.

Storage evolution is why Samsung, Hitachi, IBM etc bailed out of the HDD sector. I don't understand why WD or Seagate haven't heavily invested in Solid State. With only 2 major players & Toshiba in spinning disk, the writing is clearly on the wall for that tech.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like