back to article German Kim Jong-un lookalike spaffed official Nork pics over Instagram

A German teen with an uncanny resemblance to Kim Jong-un has been outed as the manager of an "official" North Korean Instagram account. A North Korean news agency claimed that Moritz Ferdinand Arend Kotheder, an 18-year-old student from Stuttgart, ran the account, which featured retro-massaged propaganda images beamed over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shagbag

The ignorance of youth

The guy could benefit from an open and frank discussion with Amnesty International.

1. NomNomNom

Re: The ignorance of youth

Doesn't sound ignorant to me. He says he wants to show people "the other side" of NK. Therefore suggesting he's well aware of the side you claim he's ignorant of.

I don't think he's actually doing anymore harm than the millions of us who go out working, drinking, watching tv and not thinking at all about what's happening in NK.

2. Sebastian Brosig

I'm unfamiliar with Instagram

>ran official North Korean propaganda images through Instagram

Do you have to do the "over-saturate the colours and apply really dark vignetting" bit yourself or does Instagram do that for you?

3. Bumpy Cat
    FAIL

Never has this been more appropriate ...

"If you like it so much, why don't you go and live there."

Deluded twat.

1. andreas koch

@ Bumpy Cat - Re: Never has this been more appropriate ...

I have to agree, he is deluded. But I think the boy could do with some help to get better again. Haloperidol, or so.

By the way, where is this picture of him?

1. andreas koch
        WTF?

Re: @ Bumpy Cat - Never has this been more appropriate ...

I found the picture.

The only resemblance is that he has the same amount of eyes and noses. Really. Go look.

http://www.nknews.org/2013/06/official-north-korea-instagram-the-work-of-a-german-teenager/

And he's 12 by the looks.

1. Dan Dyer

Re: @ Bumpy Cat - Never has this been more appropriate ...

Looks more like Michael Gove.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. frank ly

An explanation?

Is there some kind of natural human tendency to approve of someone who looks like yourself?

1. JoshOvki
      Thumb Up

Re: An explanation?

That explains why I approve of Brad Pitt.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

I don't think Charlie Chaplin was a big fan of Adolf Hitler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

1. Andrew Moore

"I don't think Charlie Chaplin was a big fan of Adolf Hitler:"

Though the reverse was true.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Though the reverse was true.

Not for Goebbels; who apparently tried to orchestrate a plagiarism case against Chaplain.

1. Marvin the Martian
            IT Angle

The Goebbels reference is not an argument. There's enough closeted bigots, unfaithful defenders of marriage and so forth. People in power believe they can handle what would corrupt the weaker...

Specifically Kim Jong-Un was reported last week to spread Mein Kampf, written by a personal idol of his, among his higher officers; while it's forbidden for the general public, and NK is stauchly anti-nazi.

5. Pete 2 Silver badge

His own best customer

> I started the account, maybe because I wanted to fool people

Sounds like he was the one most fooled. Though if I thought I bore even the slightest resemblance to one of the world's most famous nutters leaders (KJU or this guy), I'd take whatever measures necessary to remedy the situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Careful what you wish for ...

I've always wanted to look like a movie star, pop icon etc ....

... but unfortunately I look like Anders Brevik.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Careful what you wish for ...

just tape your right hand to your hip and you'll be fine

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Careful what you wish for ...

"just tape your right hand to your hip and you'll be fine"

I wish I could up vote that 10x.

2. Turtle

@Pete 2: Re: His own best customer

"Though if I thought I bore even the slightest resemblance to one of the world's most famous nutters leaders..."

He might be a lot of things but "nutter" would almost certainly not be among them. Possibly the things that make someone like you think that he's a "nutter" are the things that any intelligent ruler would do in order to maintain their iron rule over a country. It's a matter of perspective, really.

To most people claims to have scored half-a-dozen holes-in-one in a single game of golf might seem so preposterous as to be "batshit insane" - but heaven help any North Korean who expresses doubt; and that serves various purposes: 1) it allows the government to find and render harmless anyone with an incipient tendency to "think for themselves"; 2) punishing such people will "encourager les autres" (Voltaire, "Candide", repeated by Foch, well, you know); 3) it gives anyone who disbelieves the official propaganda a renewed sense of their own powerlessness and a general sense of complicity...

6. Alfred

"I was a big big fan of the DPRK ..."

Now let's be fair. If this guy was British we'd give a solid chance that the whole thing was a straight-faced send up. It's harder to be sure with our Teutonic chums, whose sense of humour is notoriously dry.

1. nsld
      Joke

Re: "I was a big big fan of the DPRK ..."

Dry, don't you mean arid?

2. JimC

Re: "I was a big big fan of the DPRK ..."

Although one thing the net has demonstrated to my satisfaction is that there is no viewpoint or opinion, no matter how bizarre or irrational, that there does not exist a person or even persons ou there who appear too sincerely hold it. The quote about the universe being a stranger place than you *can* imagine certainly applies to people...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like