back to article Huawei's new 7-inch MediaPad Vogue feeds Wi-Fi+3G phablet frenzy

Chinese electronics giant Huawei has jumped feet-first into the emerging tablet-that's-also-a-phone market with the release of the MediaPad 7 Vogue, a seven-inch tablet that can be had in either a Wi-Fi-only or Wi-Fi plus 3G phone call–capable version. "We're delighted to introduce the MediaPad 7 Vogue, our call-enabled tablet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

The 'next' ultimate poser phone

Only those really seeking attention would be seen dead making a phone call with one of these.

Big is the new shiny-shiny then.

Mines the one without a pocket big enough for one of these (thankfully)

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: The 'next' ultimate poser phone

"Mines the one without a pocket big enough for one of these (thankfully)"

Does that mean you wouldn't be able to control yourself if the pocket was big enough?

2. Androgynous Crackwhore
      FAIL

I've never understood this bizarre media campaign against adding modems to tablets. I find a mobile data connection can come in handy when out of WiFi range. I've even found a cunning way of making phone calls without looking stupid! Don't you have Bluetooth/headsets on planet Journalista?

<-- In lieu of now defunct RIP Reg icon.

1. Stuart 22
        Thumb Up

Right on.

Modern smartphones are pretty dumb at making phone calls anyway. Times have changed. Email, FB, Twitter, SMS has moved communication from real time (when two people have to prioritise each other at the same time) to the old office spike mode. You send messages when you want and are read (usually last first) by recipients when they choose. And it can be one to many.

Which means when I'm on the train its the small screen size of my Nexus 4 that is the limiting factor. I could take our Nexus 7 but that would die out of WiFi range and even if it was 3G/4G enable that means taking two mobile contracts.

So for those of us who use mobile devices mostly for data with some urgent calls (via bluetooth?) this factor is close to ideal. Obviously the SIM size needs to be compatible with the smartphone you use when you need to pack discretely or conveniently in an inside pocket.

3. plrndl
      Thumb Up

Carphone Warehouse (no conflict of interest to declare) do a bluetooth headset for less than £20.

2. frank ly

Various options

I'd prefer to rely on a discrete bluetooth earpiece to avoid drawing attention to my lack of 'stylish fashionista' appearance. Also, I'd get the WiFi only version and tether it to my dinky little retro HTC Wildfire if I was going out with it.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Facepalm

Presumably...

the young fashionista's thumb (per the illustration) will be on the touch-sensitive side of the device.

How does that work, then? "Hello? Hello, can you hear me? Oh, it's cut you off again..."

1. The lone lurker

Re: Presumably...

So you cut people off as soon as part of your body comes into contact with the touch sensitive part of a phone - like when you press it to the side of your face? Presumably this device can turn off the screen when it detects that it is close to your head, just like most phones already have done for a long time already. Alternatively the software could ignore all inputs except in certain areas of the screen as soon as the device goes into call mode.

It's more likely that this is simply a promotional picture and you're nitpicking to jump on this particular bandwagon.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Dunno - I don't have a smartphone, I've never used a smartphone, and I have no intention of ever purchasing a smartphone.

I think that touch-sensitive interfaces have so many things wrong with them *for my uses - your mileage may vary* that I have neither need nor desire to use one. I do have a mobile phone; I use it for making calls. It's quite good at that.

1. AceRimmer
          Stop

"Dunno - I don't have a smartphone, I've never used a smartphone, and I have no intention of ever purchasing a smartphone."

And yet here you are literally putting the tard into commentard

4. Elmer Phud

Phablet?

Taone?

Back to 'Mobe'!

5. Jess

3 ways of not doing a Dom Joly

1. Bluetooth.

2. Speaker Phone (Which is what you have to do for video calls anyway)

3. Use a wired headset.

6. Steve 13
    Facepalm

Still a fail as a form factor

Despite the possibility of bluetooth headsets, video calls or what have you, it's still a fail as a form factor for making calls.

The reason I say that is I don't take a tablet with me on a night out, and I do still need to be able to make phone calls.

Now, I could own two devices, many of us probably already do, but what I definitely don't want is two contracts with {insert preferred network}.

So all that said, I need a phone that isn't massive, for the times when I don't want to carry a tablet but do need the possibility of making calls/sending texts/accessing data/etc...

Maybe what this really means is that the form factor isn't a fail, but that the business model for selling it is. If it could be coupled to my existing account then maybe some days I would just take my tablet and a bluetooth headset, and on other days I'd just take my phone...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still a fail as a form factor

So put your SIM into the device which best suits the trip at hand and take only that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

All-in-one

I'm just waiting the prices going down to have a 7" phablet attached to my motorcycle for calls-gps-music in one device

8. Ian Ringrose

Why can’t I have a small simple mobile that has 3G and will act as a WiFi hotspot?

I would like a 7inch tablet that just has WiFi and a separate phone that is small and basic but provides a personal WiFi (or Bluetooth) hotspot for my tablet. It would be nice if the contacts were synced between the two, and the phone told me if I had a new email, showing me the subject line – I would use the tablet to read the email. The phone does not need more then a small b&w screen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like