back to article Apple's Tim Cook: I'm risking my own MEELLLIONS if we sink

Apple CEO Tim Cook has tied his future pay packet to the fruity firm's performance, in a move which could end up costing him over $100m. In a bid to stave off concerns that his company is on the verge of catastrophic decline, Steve Jobs' heir has put his own neck on the line by promising to sacrifice almost 40 per cent of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cubical Drone

Yawn

So if the company does not do well, he only gets a lot of money instead of an un-Godly amount of money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ALL MISSING THE POINT

This guy does not bet, has never put a wager on anything that could be called a game of chance.

He knows what is in the pipeline, he knows it will blow away the opposition and so by making this statement he is not playing a game of might or might not.

It's just a publicity stunt, get interest in Apple, a bit of free advertising a month or so before they launch their atom bomb of a product.

2. g e
    Holmes

Ummm, so....

He still gets 672,877 shares regardless of performance (if he's still working there) which is just shy of 270M at $400/share.

Even if the share price halves again that's $135M... unless I read it totally wrong (not impossible)

Such a sacrifice

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ummm, so....

More than many would do...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't Japanese/Korean CEOs sometimes forgo all their payements to compensate shareholders if their company fails?

2. Tom 35

He is going to be living on beans and cat food (the no name stuff).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

As much as I dislike apple, I'm quite glad to see a CEO finally put some of his money where his mouth is. Sure he'll still be richer than 95% of the population, but it's better than a lot of the CEOs which seem to drive a company into the ground, onlly to abandon ship with a golden handshake and a job lined up elsewhere because they used to be CEO of a big company.

1. Bluenose

Re: Wow

He is not actually putting any money at risk. The money being put at risk is the additional sums over and above his salary that he would be paid if he hung around long enough.

The reality is that he gets a reward irrespective of his performance as head of the company (as will all the other directors if they go the same route) irrespective of how well the company does. The only thing that changes is the value of that reward, and as someone else points out the size of that reward is still hugely beneficial to the recipient.

I would have been more impressed if a)he had sacrificed annual salary excluding bonses dependent on the company's share price in 4 years time and b)sacrificed 100,000 based on a weighted average of the number of staff the company has to get rid of due to poor performance plus a for each say 1-2% reduction in profit plus failure to acheive 1-2% sales growth in each of the next 4 years.

Let's be realistic the CEO of any company has an obligation to all stakeholders in the company including the employees, shareholders and customers. His or her performance should be measured against their success in all those areas.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Unless his losses would put him in the position that reduces his annual income to the same as being unemployed in the USA, he isn't gambling anything. Hell, if he said that he'd only take the amount of the average earner in the USA I'd be impressed (and even then, with savings etc. he still wouldn't hurt).

Until these fucknozzles are likely to have the same downside to their actions that a worker that stands to be made redundant as a result of those actions, then this is just posturing.

2. Wilco
      Meh

You have a fairly skewed idea of what 95% of the population earn my friend. The sort of money that Cook means that he earns more than 99.99% of Americans, let alone of the rest of world. But unless the next iPhone is really, really good, there's not much chance of him staying around until 2016 to collect

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

By 95% of the population, I actually meant combined earnings.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lets face it, Ballmer wouldn't do it :)

His days are numbered.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EEEEDIOT! He'll be bankrupt!

There is no loyalty. The iFolly is already over the hill and fisher price toys and watches are not going to change that.

1. Silverburn
      Facepalm

a) Fisher price is cheaper

b) Fisher price is still cool (Have you seen the Space shuttle??? Cool....)

c) watches? Coffee grinders yes, watches no

5. 1Rafayal
    Meh

Whilst I love to troll fanboi related posts like this, I cannot help but think that Apple needs a new innovator.

Lets face it, thats what they do best after all...

1. Dave Perry
      Flame

Do you mean 'did' best to a degree? I know some people swear by the iPad minis, but it was too high a price point - for £130 more I got a refurbished 64gb iPad 2. If he signed off the new iTunes, complete and utter waste - avoiding upgrading to v11 until I absolutely have to. Download-only of Lion, with no OPTION to get a DVD, ludicrous.

I love my iPhone 4S, but won't be upgrading to a 5 as it's not noticeably better for what I need - I'd rather have the extra £15/mth in my pocket vs giving it to o2 (my other half wants the 4S when I come to be eligible for an upgrade, but I'd rather buy her an unlocked one one-off as they're going for about £150 round here).

Someone said when Jobs died that he'd put the next 5 years' roadmap in place, possibly (and probably sadly) knowing he wasn't going to be around much longer. But did he leave any innovations or seeds for them to plant I wonder?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bit of a QQ.

iTunes 11 works fine and download only - so what? A friend could put it on a USB stick or DVD for you if you really can't download it or pretty sure you can buy a USB stick of (Mountain) Lion.

Not upgrading your 4S - don't - it's a great phone and plenty of people are still buying them. I also know people still using 3GSs and 4s - it would be the same if you had a Galaxy S3 and were looking at the S4 - yes a few tweaks but for most people it's not much of an upgrade. Unlocked 4S for £150 - I suggest you look on eBay - most seem to be going for around double that.

No innovations - for many the '5' was a step up from the '4' series - bigger screen, thinner, faster, same battery life is not bad when what can you do with a phone - add a stylus like Samsung (lol).

New Mac Pro's look pretty impressive (will be interesting to see what they cost) and the Macbook Pro Retina and Airs are all good - yes you can look at it and say it's incremental but I'm sure there is a lot more in the pipeline.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nobody is innovating right now. Just making things nicer, more bling.

Decent services are what will make phones more useful. Google Now is a start down that direction.

People want every day intelligence, being told things by their device without having to ask it. Traffic delays on their route home etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

There normally seems to be some kind of 'Innovation cycle' in most industries

Company A innovates a new invention

Company B, C, D create their own version of the innovation, making it just different enough to get past patent law.

Everyone polishes the innovation until it reaches a state of nothing more they can do.

Company Z innovates some new invention.

In many ways I actually feel that the innovation cycle was somewhat crippled thanks to software / design patents. You can't get around the patent like you can with hardware (same function, different implementation) because it's only the output which is patented, not the stuff under the hood.

This puts off company B C and D from 'innovating' their own version by a factor of years (and the court cases of course)

Because of all the court cases and back and forth the polish has taken far longer than it should, since they're tweaking to get around the patent suits rather than to improve the product.

Company Z can't innovate anything new because most of the outputs have been patented already by NPEs.

And so the cycle is stifled at every single point, pushing innovation back by a decade or so.

Lets face it, we're only just entering stage 3 of the cycle (polish) whereas any other market they'd have probably been on polish for the next innovation.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

So you mean Apple innovate the iPhone - everyone copies - Apple gets slagged off for improving their product.

Then Apple innovate the iPad - everyone copies - Apple gets slagged off for improving their product.

Then Apple innovate the [inset next thing] - everyone copies - Apple gets slagged off for improving their product.

2. Vince

"No innovations - for many the '5' was a step up from the '4' series - bigger screen, thinner, faster, same battery life is not bad when what can you do with a phone - add a stylus like Samsung (lol)."

Yeah cause the only thing Samsung have done is add a "stylus" (ignoring that some of us who buy devices like the Note 2 specifically wanted and find the stylus/pen useful). lol indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is it fair to compare a new iPad Mini to a refurb iPad 2 - maybe - maybe not but I agree some of the refurb stuff is good value and from what I have seen / heard basically 'as new' anyway. The iPad Mini and the iPad are pretty similar apart from the screen size.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jobs an Innovator?

Let me just step right in I've got things to invent

I'm an innovator baby changed the world

fortune 500 before you kissed a girl

I'm a pimp you're a nerd

I'm slick you're cheesy

beating you is Apple 2 easy

I make the product that the artist chooses

and the GUI that melinda uses

let me bring up some basic shit

Why'd you name your company after your dick.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Jobs an Innovator?

Wow. In your poem, the spatial organisation has become the durational organisation of words, the technical problem that of tempo. Words, like planes in abstract painting, function not as units in a logical structure, but as units functioning in a vital and organic structure of time. Logic and all its attributes of grammar, spelling and punctuation, become subservient to the imperial demands of form. The words must come at the moment juste, the spark perfectly timed must ignite them at their fullest incipient power. The verbal units fall, almost as if by fate, into a sharp relentless tempo that drives each into the highest incandescence of its meaning. There is no waste, the skilful orchestration of tempo forces each word to the final limit of its stress. Or, sumfing like that.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

"poem"

I think it's rap.

Hmm, I seem to have something stuk under one of my keys.

2. enerider
        Thumb Up

Sir, for the excellent Epic Rap Battles of History reference, have another upvote. I'm assuming the downvoters have not yet seen the excellence in that particular Youtube video.

6. RcR

BFD...He still gets all the perks of being the top worm in the Apple, private plane, 5 star travel, etc. etc. ad nauseum. What else would someone so unskilled and generally useless do? It is not as though he actually MAKES something we all need, and in any case, he is a single caricature of the firm, not the brains behind the machine. If Appletards buy iCrap over and over just because it has a new color/finish/port it is unlikely that the clown on top can be much more than irrelevant. It is the brand that counts, not the clone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You go suck up to some Korean overlord instead - or do you think they live a humble life and donate all their profits to charitable causes around the world?

7. John H Woods Silver badge

I thought this was more impressive ...

8. Matthew Hardy

Half of Nothing

So if the share deal he's been offered turns out to be worth naff all then he'll only take half of it.

9. William Donelson
    FAIL

Stock market traders

Stock market traders were the ones that boosted Apple's share price way above normal, and now Apple is blamed when those same traders think again.

Crazy. The markets need far more regulation. How many traders or bankers have gone to jail for the 2008 debacle?

10. ItsNotMe

AhhhTimmy...what's going on here?

"Considering the original deal would have netted him about $413m, if measured using Apple's current stock price of $413.50..."

Make that USD$399.625 per share at the moment. Oooopppsss. Not looking good for those extra shares.

11. Alan Denman

Just a drop in the ocean

And obviously an off-shore ocean.

I'd really love to lose a few of my millions.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's the deal... I'm a rabid Apple fanboi.

I'm still in work, I have disposable income (one of the many joys of having no kids), I have the firmly held belief that owning Apple kit somehow makes me just... finer... than the non-Apple owning masses. Even better, I have three houses to furnish with shiny tat I'll never use, and such low self-awareness and esteem that I have no idea how pointless and sad my constant need for fruit-based acquisitions really is.

Finally, I truly understand that the idea of a walled garden is to keep the peasants away from my lawns.

With people like me around (and we are legion) - how can Apple fail?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

legion?

look up the meaning of CULT.. that the correct word for Apple users..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like