back to article Dropbox flips Snapjoy album shut

Heavy Snapjoy users will be watching any download limits they might have, with Dropbox changing its mind and shuttering the cloudy pic-storing app. Snapjoy, the self-described “smart photo library in the cloud”, allowed its users to aggregate their photos stored on other services including Flickr, Picasa, Facebook and Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Franklin
    Stop

Further proof, as if any were needed, that anything we store in "the cloud" exists only on someone else's whim. Especially if we store it there for free.

1. Haku

Not to mention the recent news that the hosting service that held all the Megaupload files erased it all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Got to agree

Use the cloud and risk the loss.

Unless there are legal protections put in place you could lose your stuff in a blink of an eye without having any kind of appeal.

In this case they kindly give you a month to retrieve what you own data, but what if you have a lot of it stored in 'virtual security' ? Where do you put a years worth of photographs?

3. LarsG
      Meh

Unfortunately

Some people see the word 'free or cheap storage' and then really abuse the system.

90% of the photographs are just stored snaps that over the course of a year or two are pretty much forgotten and not looked at or ever used.

These storage facilities then become dustbins and filled to over flowing with crap.

In the old days, the crap you'd accumulate, including photos that never developed properly were sorted and thrown out. However now some people think they need to store everything.

The Cloud providers can't keep adding and expanding their storage indefinitely, it's up to people using it to be sensible.

If they had to store it on their own hard drives they might be a bit moe discerning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfortunately

The shoebox under the bed is now she shoebox under somedody else's bed.

Unfortunately the legs of the bed no longer reach the floor and the bed owner is getting annoyed.

2. Haku

Re: Unfortunately

"The Cloud providers can't keep adding and expanding their storage indefinitely, it's up to people using it to be sensible."

Oh I don't know, BackBlaze, the online backup service which costs $5/month for unlimited storage seems to be doing pretty well, they're constantly increasing their storage through their custom designed pods, each of which contains up to 180TB through an array of 45 harddrives:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@LarsG

Some people see the word 'free or cheap storage' and then really abuse the system.

If a free service offers me 5GB and I use all 5GB, that's not abuse. Stupidity possibly, if that 5GB is important stuff that isn't backed up elsewhere, but not abuse.

If they had to store it on their own hard drives they might be a bit moe discerning.

I doubt it. I have 1TB in my laptop plus a 2TB desktop drive. Both still full of crap.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: @LarsG

The trouble is there's always demand inflation. The punter may only have enough crap to fill a 5gb cloudlet, but if someone offers us 10gb free we may opt to use them instead, and some people will then accumulate a further 5gb. And so on.

There are the ones who are frightened to throw anything away, in case they lose something they need: Even though they have no chance of either finding it or even remembering they've got it.

And there are the ones who don't even know their stuff is rubbish because they are convinced that their every tacky image, twit and sad comment needs to be preserved for posterity.

1. Haku

@Terry 6

For a lot of people I don't think they keep digital photos etc. because they're convinced everything needs to be stored in case they might want it in the future, it's more a case of "laziness to sift through the crap" + "cheap storage" = "store everything" :)

3. banjomike
    FAIL

Do Evil

So we can add Dropbox to the "Do evil" club.

If a 'cloud' supplier offer us 5GB to store our stuff and we want to store crap on it, that is our right.

Them deciding to abandon us is their right.

But, I hate them for it and will never trust Dropbox again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like