back to article Sunday's night sky to be flooded by MASSIVE SUPERMOON

At 4:32 am PDT on Sunday, the Earth's sole natural satellite will appear as large as it will get this year as it swings through 2013's closest orbital distance – but if you're not in the San Francisco Vulture Annex's time zone, you may also be lucky enough to get your own lunar treat at a time appropriate to your location. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

THANKS OBAMA!

But seriously, I will check out the night sky....

2. Eddy Ito

"as it comes within 221,824 miles of Earth"

"The moon's distance to Earth only varies about 50,000 miles"

Oh, so only only about 20 percent then. Still, it would make other things challenging if say the bed or your trousers were 20% smaller at times.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

The moonmen are coming!

Sneaky bastards are going to wait until the moon breaches our outer defense perimeter to strike!

Then again I may wake up Sunday am to find a lunar descent stage on my lawn with a "how do YOU like finding this crap in YOUR yard!" Note on it.

4. heyrick Silver badge

It's simple. The earth is slowing down (due mostly to all the crap we humans dump all over the place, it's like atmospheric friction). As the earth slows it gets weaker (kind of like when we get old). When that happens there will be less gravity and the moon will fly off into space, with only Moonbase Alpha to record what happens next.

As for earthlings, some say the moon affects the menstrual cycle. If this is so, it'll be Children of Men for real.

1. Rukario
      Headmaster

> the moon affects the menstrual cycle

"Menstrual" = of the moon. The moon affects the cycle of the moon.

(That the term "menstrual" is used to refer to another cycle that has close to the same period (pun intended) as the moon is a coinkidink - or possibly an evolutionary trait due to available light pre-artificial lighting.)

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Rukario

I was aware that menstrual = of the moon (from menstrualis, latin for monthly, which used to be based on moon cycles); however, when referring to that duration when females get grumpy and need mini-nappies to catch this blue liquid that pours out of them (well, according to the TV adverts ;-) ); what would you have preferred I call it?

5. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Sole natural satellite

Woah, I'm sure the sainted Steven Fry informed us there were two, not three, no six, no five... or something.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Sole natural satellite

If he did say there were two, he was mistaken (a not-so-uncommon occurance). 3753 Cruithne, a small near earth object, which sometimes appears to be in our orbit was probably what he was saying that about, but it isn't orbiting Earth.

2. Rukario

Re: Sole natural satellite

Bertrand Russell's chocolate teapot?

6. Richard Pennington 1
    Alien

Spontaneous madness ...

How can they tell?

7. smudge
    Alien

Supermoon emits new kind of light

If that building in DC is really "bathed in the light of the 2011 supermoon", then either the moon is emitting light rays which bend 180 degrees to lilluminate the side of the building facing us.

Or there's a supermassive object inside the building doing it.

Either way, it's scary.

8. frank ly

but NASA says there's nothing to worry about.

That's what the NSA said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: but NASA says there's nothing to worry about.

I think we should ask Dr Hans Zarkoff

1. Robert Forsyth

Re: but NASA says there's nothing to worry about.

But will Gordon be playing Polo or American Football?

9. J 12
    Mushroom

That's no moon......

10. Dropper
    Go

Nasa's Crazy Warning

NASA (probably tongue in cheek) felt the need to issue an advisory stating that the super large moon would *not* drive everyone crazy or cause extreme tidal conditions, presumably meaning we won't all need boats to get to work next week.

I felt though, this failed to answer all questions, so I responded by asking them if satellites would be in danger of being knocked out of the sky and if planes would need to fly lower to avoid crashing into the moon.. for some reason they refuse to adequately address those questions.. I can't imagine why unless they've all been driven crazy by the huge moon or are too busy ordering boats to save themselves from tidal waves.

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Supermoon.

Is that also known as The Moon of Steel?

12. Magister

Meh!

Couldn't see f*** all; sky covered with 100% cloud. (Like I couldn't guess that would happen!)

Getting more light from the crappy little solar powered garden lights the neighbours insist on sticking on their lawns; {$_.deity} knows why they bother, as none of them go out in their gardens after dark.

13. Mips
    Childcatcher

Aaargh! Now you tell me!

Too late.

Last night I looked up and thought "My word the moon looks big tonight". Just to think I could have been in the cellar cr*pp*ng my pants If I had known.

Happy daze. Must get some more Tramadol.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like