back to article Wireless traffic-info networks could save BEEELIONS per year

A newly released study contends that adding wireless communication between cars and traffic-sensing infrastructure could add up to an annual savings of €11.4bn ($15bn) in accident prevention, fuel, and pollution costs – and that's in Germany alone. "The benefits of networking are great, particularly in situations where hidden …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. btrower

Way to go

This is where we need to go, but...

Securing these things needs to be built in, not tacked on in response to attacks.

On an academic network somewhere people were posting about this subject and the majority all thought that these systems were relatively hack-proof and safe. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact...

If they do not lead with their security strategy expect them to be insecure.

2. MrXavia
    Big Brother

On one hand, I like the accident prevention idea... on the other hand I can see the government using this stuff as a back door to tracking everyones movements and road charging...

1. Graham 32

The tracking technology is already on its way. By 2015 all new cars must be fitted with gps and mobile phone tech... for safety purposes of course.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/eu-signs-off-ecall-all-cars-to-contain-gps-tech-by-2015/21857

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Holmes

It might be fitted

But I am sure that there will a thriving market for companies willing to disable it (in the interested of privacy)

I guess all the bozos who signed up for this will be at the head of the queue (unless they wrote in an exemption for idiot/thieving/tax evading politicians)

The Press will be after all the data on their target 'celebs' as well. Imagine the scene in a pub where the hacks are all enjoying a pint (or three) and suddenly their phones/tablets tell them that their target bimbo has left home. Suddenly they are gone.

No more fitting a bug to a car.

3. Herby

Now for the hacks...

Someone will get the idea to send out LOUD (amplified) broadcasts that they are coming around at "great speed" into an intersection, where all OTHER vehicles will stop. Clear sailing for the hacker (until another similar boffin does the same).

The possibilities are endless, should be a fun time!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

annual savings of €11.4bn

Thats great on paper. But first it requires that the vast majority of cars to have it fitted.. that's easily achievable for new cars rolling off the production line. But how do you ensure its added to older cars and who is going to cover the cost of that??!

The owner obviously, but I can't see them getting much in return, even when accidents drops dramatically, the insurance premiums will drop by any meaningful amount. The insurance companies will just keep the status-quo and laugh all the way to the bank.

5. Andre Carneiro
    Big Brother

"data from the vehicles and sensors was anonymized and collected in a central location"

That, right there, has pretty much ruined it for me....

Pretty sure the NSA or GCHQ are salivating at the prospect, though...

1. Neil Alexander

I don't really care if GCHQ know where my car is. They already know where my phone is, and that's usually in the car with me. However, the prospect of using this information to improve busy roads and driving is a very enticing prospect.

6. Charles Manning

1.6million km == 994k miles

For a tech article, that's a blunder. I wonder what else they got wrong?

Anyway, the most broken part in a car is the driver. Can the tech really fix that?

7. Christian Berger

Privacy and the car of the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecT0iu9PqEc

I still think proper public transport would be _way_ cheaper particularly in heavily populated areas.

This topic is closed for new posts.