back to article New cheapo iPhone ain't gonna be that cheap, says non-Foxconn CEO

The CEO of a Chinese firm rumoured to be building an entry-level version of the iPhone has warned world+dog against calling it cheap. Tong Zixian, chairman of Pegatron, told a shareholder meeting today that the new iPhone's "price is still high". According to a dodgy translation of Zixian's comments, the new phone offers " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

New name

Or perhaps the iPhone Cif, or the iPhone Sellafield or the iPhone Snickers or the iPhone Olay....

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: New name

Starburst.

2. Eddie Knopfler
    Coat

I'll get my coat... but...

Pegatron?

Sounds like decept or con.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Terminator

Oh darn, beat me to it, but still.

<- Sort of transformers icon.

All hail Pegatron

1. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

Re: Oh darn, beat me to it, but still.

One shall stand, one shall fall...

1. Si 1

Re: Oh darn, beat me to it, but still.

Pegatron must be stopped. No matter the cost!

#You've got the Touch...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Disclaimer : I am an avid Android user

In my humble opinion, no matter what hardware Apple make, it's the UI that lets it down for me. Its just not configurable how I would want to use it.

My opinion on iphones are further skewed by the fact that kicking and screaming, I was given a 4S for work and it truly is shite. Battery life is poor and it drops calls 85% of the time even with a condom around it (figuratively speaking)

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Paris Hilton

>> it drops calls 85% of the time even with a condom around it

At the risk of a severe pounding...

Clearly, you are holding [your condom covered "device"] wrong.

Paris, 'cause she likes them with or without a condom.

5. Ged T
    Meh

Build in China?

I thought Apple had 'shipped back' its iShinny production back to the U.S.? I get what the article was saying about manufacturing for the Chinese and other 'needs to be cheaper'/'evolving' markets (Pegatron build or have built for HP, in the past BTW)

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Build in China?

The iMac is made in USA, or at least some of them are. The new Mac Pro will also be made in USA. However laptops and iDevices are still made in China.

6. Tim Worstal

Hmm

If it's for the Chinese market, is it going to work with China Mobile?

7. Anomalous Cowshed

Cheapo

It will be cheap by iphone standards and expensive by all other standards. The question is: will it be good? This the users and testers and commentators will have to decide.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hinese phone =

I am guessing it will be a Chinese only phone for the chinese market running on only the funky chinese system. This will enable apple to control the spread of the device, since it will only work in China.

Cheap is relative. I expect that the cheap iPhone price will be undercut by most other manufacturers, making the cheap iPhone not so cheap anyway.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear, what are you iSheeple going to do

...you obtained your status by purchasing a device. That device IS you. You would be nothing if not for your (you claim) expensive iFolly.

Now it seems your not worth as much as you thought you were!

We've (and your mom) have been saying this for ages now. may be you'll listen now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh dear, what are you iSheeple going to do

"...you obtained your status by purchasing a device. That device IS you. You would be nothing if not for your (you claim) expensive iFolly."

Your jealousy is sickeningly transparent.

iPhones haven't been status symbols for years. Maybe they were for a period in 2007/2008. You need to move on. Almost all of the hip/trendy/wealthy people I know have the Galaxy S 4 now. If anything, my iPhone 4S makes me feel old and pedestrian.

10. Philippe
    Unhappy

So much talk for so little change.

There is already a cheaper iPhone. Actually two of them, the 4S and the 4

Apple will just merge them into a version marketed as "More fun, more colourful"

They will make up their margin by not having to manufacture three devices but two.

The 4S cost £449 in the UK

The 4 cost £319 in the UK

The new model will be priced in between (i.e 384 or more likely £399 off contract)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would prefer plastic...

Been using an iPhone since 2008 and I'd prefer one made of plastic. Would likely make it lighter weight and more durable, and if it's cheaper too, then no complaints.

The Lumia 800s are plastic and look nice and feel good. It can be done. (Lumia 900s are an example of how not to do it... they look like shiny children's toys to me.)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actual Chav Meaning

Guys the term "Chav" is in actual fact taken from the term "Chelsea Average"

Burberry Tracksuite tops, lacoste caps and Gold Hoop earrings (if female) were what the average chelsea populous were found to be wearing when the term became popular. The term came mainly from football fans.

This is something that is widely known by most football fans in England, dont know where you came up with your derivatives but i can tell you.............you are wrong.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like